cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase ASE : Several "SAP" databases in one instance on one host

former_member182307
Contributor

Hello,

I've been searching the forums and the SAP notes in order to know if I could install several databases in only one SYBASE ASE instance.

The only thing I could find was this SAP note :

1811976 - SYB Multiple ASE instances on the same host

But in this case I'm installing several instances of Sybase DB and this is not what I want to do.

On a technical standpoint, I thinl this should be possible, in the same way we can do it on SQLServer.

Is this possible with ASE ?

Thanks and BR,

Steve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

Just to complete what has already been said , this is documented in SAP Note 1554717 - SYB: Planning information for SAP on ASE:

=============================

MCOD is not supported for SAP solutions on SAP (Sybase) ASE. The general support and maintenance for the SAP One Server 2.0 (MCOD) installation process has ended.

=============================

Regards,

Cris

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182307
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

First of all , thanks for all your answers.

What I have in mind is not MCOD. In mean with MCOD systems we would share the same database with different schemas in it.

What I could not understand so far is if I can do the same as this with ASE :

Here I have one instance of SQL Server software supporting several databases :

Systems db : master / tempdb etc ...

and 1 "user" database per SAP instance ( FRM / PIF / SDX ) .

But on ASE from what I could understand from the SAP notes, this kind of set up may not be supported.

When I read the SAP note 1811976 I understood that I had to install I sotware per ASE "user" database.

I'm i correct ?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve.

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Cris

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

And btw, you do have a MCOD

There is not such of "schema" concept in SQL Server and ASE, this is more specific to Oracle.

In SQL Server and ASE we talk about one database server (dataserver) and several databases.

Cris

former_member182307
Contributor
0 Kudos

O.K,

Thanks a lots for your answers !

Best regards,

Steve.

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the closest literal translation used loosely would be to say oracle schema is a database within the dataserver

0 Kudos

Hi Cris

Opening this thread again, I would like to ask, if this will be supported in the near future. I could imagine, that lots of customers will be glad to switch towards ASE with their Solution Manager 7.2 - the last Dual Stack application to be split.

As Steve mentioned, this is possible using MSSQL, and as you stated, the ASE is already using multiple databases on one instance by default, it would probably be a short to introduce this feature.

You may state now, that HANA and its Multi-Tenant could do this and that customers should run their Solution Manager on HANA rather than any other DB. But I assume, that lots of customers won't switch towards HANA with their Solution Manager and therefore, ASE could be a valuable alternative by SAP.

Cheers, Michi

kevin_sherlock
Contributor
0 Kudos

Weighing in way too late here, but I always equated an Oracle "schema" to an ASE "user".

That is, within one ASE database, you could have objects that belong to different users (schemas).

for example, one schema being "SAPSR3", and another being say "SAPSR3_x" and within the single <sid>, have tables:

<sid>.SAPSR3.USERS

and

<sid>.SAPSR3_x.USERS

Again, that could also be accomplished one level up as you suggest with different databases:

<sid>.SAPSR3.USERS

<sid_x>.SAPSR3.USERS

But then, this implies two separate installations (separate start scripts, etc).

Comes down to how the product is managed/licensed/architected i guess.  But, I seemed to, in the past thought of "users" as the parallel concept to Oracle "schemas" in the past.  I could be off base.

0 Kudos

Dear Mr Soumah

I assume you are referring to what is available on other DB platforms as MCOD - where SAP databases for multiple SAP systems are created inside one database server .

This feature is not available for SAP on ASE.
I am not aware that MCOD  is planned to be supported on ASE at any time in the furture .

HTH
Tilman Model-Bosch

victoria_normand
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

I will consider "SAP database" means you are running SAP applications on ASE (which is kind of the requirement for this community questions ).

So in that case, we are talking about different SID databases on the same ASE dataserver.
And the answer is "no", you cannot have multiple SID databases on a same ASE knowing that the SID name is used for creating the ASE dataserver and to create the ASE database in that dataserver. That's why the SAP Note 1811976 talks about have "several instances" of ASE ( = "several dataservers").

But besides SID databases, of course you can have multiple database: ie for DBACockpit the "saptools" database is created on the same instance.
In that context I'm not how works with MSSQL, I thought it would be very similar: SID is used for MSSQL Instance Server name & for the database name.

Hope this answer to your question,
Regards,
Victoria.