cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboard Crystal Report based

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am developing Crystal Report from more than a year now but I am a newbie on the dashboard side.

I have received from a customer the request to develop a dashboard which should meet certain criteria:

• Should be accessible by the customers (more than one people I imagine) through a website through a login form
  • Should contain 10 reports/subreports each of them should have the possibility to Drill Down at detail level and some of them should have the capability to filter dinamically (Range date time filter): I do not know if having the sub-reports i can drill down because all of them can be based on the same dynamic filter.
  • Some of these reports should be based on different database (for instance 7 reports should query against Db1 and 3 should query against Db2)
  • The layout should be as attached: three vertical sections, more report/subreports each sections

Could you gently identify, providing me even website/video/tutorial a solution of this request knowing that I would like to use a dashboard based on Crystal Report because each of these reports are scheduled monthly, so I would like to keep the logic and benefits  of CR.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Luca

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

--> If you have the BO license then you can save the dashboard into the repository, so that the customers can login and view them in the launchpad.

-->You can drill down to the reports by creating the filters and passing the values from one selected table/chart or a component from different reports.

-->Having more reports i don't know where you are merging them, having (IDT) information design tool you can manage different DB and you can create report on top it.

-->As explained above create the reports as you required and pass the filter from one to another.

Note: Dashboard is used for Aggregated/Summarized data level. Don't put too much load to drill down on the detailed data. Dashboard is not meant for that,then you may get into bad performance trap.

Using Live-office connection you can connect your Crystal reports to the dashboard.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0bcd7d5-db9f-2e10-8b84-e30454aaa...

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b02e31fb-3568-2e10-e78f-92412c3c0...

Above scenario is for webi report similarly you can call crystal reports as well.

Dashboard Tutorial

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

thanks for the promptly anwser, digging in my system I have found that I have SAP Business Object Dashboard 4.1 Service Pack 4.

I just a few quick question though:

-when you said ">You can drill down to the reports by creating a filters and passing the values from one selected table/chart or a component from different reports" I do not follow you: do you mean that the filter should be created at dashboard level and passed it to any report/subreport? There is a link between the drill down capability and filter? Could you kindly provide me an example.

-currently I have not LiveOffice though, when I open the dashboard and go in Data Manager if i select Live Office nothing happen: following your link I discovered that even the tab LiveOffice is not in the Excel Spreadsheet. I have Universe though. But in order to use the formula embedded in my crystal report I think I have only to use Live Office, correct?

-I can access to my BI launchpad as administrator: i think that setting a profile for the customer he should be able to see only his dashboard, correct?

Thanks a lot for the info, you made my day

Best Regards

Luca

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Point 1:

To explain detail create a report with country sales. Take the data into the pie chart. Then create a report where it has region/state or whatever next level data you have but keep the country as a filter/prompt/selection variable in crystal report level itself. Keeping them mandatory or optional that based on the logic.

Now point the second query which has country as a prompt to the cell A1. Then pass the selected value from the pie chart to the cell A1. I mean map them according to this. So on the run time based on your country selection the second report data will change. Like this you can link multiple reports to drill down. NOTE you need to set the trigger option on this.

Point 2:

Live office is add-in tool where you can download from Service Market Place, please contact you admin team to get more help on this or if you have the s-user id you can also download directly. After that you need run and get connected with MS-Excel. Then only you can see the crystal report icon over there.

Point 3:

Being an administrator you can create reports and you can create a single user and you can assign rights to the dashboard or you can create multiple user and you can assign multiple rights at the dashboard level. May be you can create set of groups for certain user and assign the dashboard, that is a another level.

Hope i tried to clarify you in detail.

Have a great day ahead.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

thanks a lot.

Point 2 and 3 are very clear thanks again.

Regarding point 1 I forgot to mention this important detail:

• the capability of Drill Down which I wish to implement would be in the same graph, so the user double clicking on the number for example should be able to go in the detail (no much details to influence the performance). If I understand your approach I could create your solution and (hide/un hide) the detail once the user click on the high level.
  • I should implement a filter on date range at the same time for some of the reports. Is this possible or can prejudice the Drill Down?

Best Regards

Thanks a lot and have a nice day

Luca

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Understood your requirement clearly date ranges is fine may be this will act in the primary level. But you cannot drill down on the same chart or on the component level. May be use a another component as you said to hide the first one and going to the next component but coming back to prior component you need to make logic. Better use two components which can clearly help the user from which level  it has came down.

Answers (0)