Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing an established batch number

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts

My question is posed from a QM perspective for an MM issue. I've read many of the postings herein as well as the SAP documentation to no avail regarding my question.

I have a batch in which SLED has expired.

I have a batch which is within SLED but is now sales obsolete.

The issue is not SLED, but material being obsolete. I'd like to change these batch numbers and include a suffix such as OB. Here in the forum movements seem to be the easy way but this for me is not an option. I do not want to move it via MB1B/MIGO. I cannot use movement reasons such as 551 and others. Please suggest how to accomplish this. 

Much Thanks

Verroz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Are you using restricted stock status?  Can you use that to mark the batch as restricted?

2) Another option is to create your own batch characteristic with say two values.  UR and OB.  Set up a general sales batch determination strategy that only allows batches with a value of UR to be assigned to the sales order.

3) Another possible option would depend on what you plan to do with these obsolete batches.  You could use the QA07 program to block batches that are within 30 days of the SLED, or 60 days of the sled.  Or whatever you want. 

4) You could also copy the QA07 program and if you use the batch characteristic option I suggested above in #2, you could modify the program to automatically mark batches within 30 days of SLED by having the characteristic updated from UR to OB.

5) Another option is to set the inspection interval the same as the shelf life.  Then post the stock into QI with an inspection lot.  Hold the stock in QI until you decide what to do with it, then post it accordingly.

6) Another option is to post the stock to a special storage location like 0900 that would be configured to not be available to the sales orders for selection.

Craig

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will go with option 6 suggested by Craig, as I find that the simplest one. The standard authorization objects are available based on storage location by means of which you can restrict the use of such batches being sold. I would like to know below points in more details if you don't mind!

1. You mentioned that the material has become obsolete. Does that mean you would not be using these batches at all or want to restrict the usage for specific duration?
  2. If obsolete, then why not to scrap them using 551? What would you do with the inventory?
  3. What business challenges you see for not doing MB1B also?

I am not sure on below alternative but just explore if works

• Material to material transfer! Sounds interesting, I never tried. Just my guess. Perform 309 for the same material. From Material A and Batch 'X' to Material A and Batch 'Y'
  • Check with materials and finance team for the impacts if they are using split valuation.

Anand

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to you both, your answers were quite helpful. I was able to execute an example successfully for the team. We opted to just change the # via mvt 311, sloc to sloc... same sloc. Works beautifully. Accomplishes the mission.

We discussed the virtual warehouse early off, but the team was over ruled. There are already several to be eliminated.

V. 

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought you couldn't use material movements and a transaction like MB1B or MB1C?  That's what you said originally! It's why I didn't suggest a 311 or 411 for doing that.  Otherwise that might have been one of the first options I would have given you!  🙂

Craig

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, It started out as a "no movements" requirement. Virtual warehouses are already being used but will be eliminated.  Exploring this initially, did not realize this would be the most expedient option.
Thanks very much for the options though.

V.