cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does crystalreportviewers13 build every time?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a client who uses Crystal Reports and I am developing a web site for them. I recently installed Crystal Reports for Visual Studio and I have no problem building this client's web site. However, when I built a different client's web site, I noticed that it is still building crystalreportviewers13. Example log entries:

1>Building directory '/aspnet_client/system_web/4_0_30319/crystalreportviewers13/js/crviewer/'.

1>Building directory '/aspnet_client/system_web/4_0_30319/crystalreportviewers13/js/dhtmllib/images/skin_coloredline/'.

1>Building directory '/aspnet_client/system_web/4_0_30319/crystalreportviewers13/js/dhtmllib/images/skin_corporate/'.

etc...

This second web site doesn't use Crystal Reports, and doesn't reference any of the CR assemblies. So why is it building all of these CR things every time?

FYI, I am using Visual Studio 2015 and I build ASP.NET web sites.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I figured out that Crystal Reports for VS installs some files in the inetpub/wwwroot folder, and every time you build a web site it rebuilds these (even when the web site is not located in the wwwroot folder). So, I just removed the aspnet_client folder from the wwwroot folder and it fixed the problem.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Possibly because the web.config that yo deployed is at a level where it is being read by the other website? Use Process Monitor, check to see where the web.config is being loaded from.

E.g.; my guess is that there is something in your environment that is making this happen.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, if the web.config file was wrong, the whole site wouldn't work. And besides, this is when compiling with the compiler, not at run time. (Although I understand that the web.config comes into play during compilation.)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, there are three places that the app would get to know anything about the viewer;

1) The viewer is on a form in the project

2) The CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.web assembly is being referenced in the project

3) The web.config has a note re. the viewer

Process Monitor may tell you more...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

All I did was install CR for VS and recompile. This project has never used crystal reports before, and the code has not changed. Nor are any CR assemblies being used anywhere in the project. I went so far as to search the project for the word Crystal and it doesn't appear anywhere. Plus, it's not just this one web site. It's EVERY web site that I build. It looks like somehow CR has embedded itself in MSVS so that it compiles every time a web site is compiled.

Edit:

It looks like this directory that is compiling is in my wwwroot folder for IIS. But my web site isn't in that folder, so why is it compiling every time? (I will admit - I am not yet an IIS expert.)