cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction log for catalog store

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We know that transaction log for the catalog store would be there. How can we monitor like in other databases archiving aspects of it.

Any thoughts on the best practices for transaction log in catalog.

Actual IQ database or datastore wont be having any transaction log visible to users right?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is not much to monitor or do.  You can actually set a flag at startup (-m) that will automatically prune the log at checkpoint.  If you don't wish to do that, you can simply schedule a job to prune it via the dbbackup utility (OS, cron, IQ events).  I usually recommend this weekly during a low data loading/manipulation time.  The dbbackup method is the preferred method and can be run in any IQ architecture.  It has no bearing on backups, recovery, HA, DR, etc.

The transaction log is just a flat file.  You can monitor the size of the file via any normal OS monitoring tools.  The file will generally stay under 1 GB.  In rare cases, it can grow and should be pruned.  I prefer, for performance reasons, to keep the log at less than 1 gb.

Check out Uverness' post on this topic: 

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mark,

Thanks so much for the response. Transformation from traditional databases these are the typical questions that come up. So was asking.

Mark any best practices document for sybase IQ which we would be using as a NLS store for SAP BW on HANA.

I have seen the first guidance document. But some of the best practices for IQ havent been mentioned. Like the question asked above.

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

To be honest, in a BW scenario, most of these items should be covered by the BW application environment.  There isn't much that should be done in IQ for BW.  In fact, the more you do in BW, the more risk you run of getting IQ NLS out of sync.  You want to push as much of your management and monitoring through BW.  There will come a time when certain things have to be done direct in IQ or on the IQ host.  When that happens, though, it is all the same best practices.

Mark