cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help selecting maintenance plan type

RobynCouch
Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm new to maintenance planning and have spent almost a week experimenting, reading and googling with no success.

I have a large number of customer vehicles (each recorded as an equipment record).  We have a few maintenance activities we want to plan for the tyres.

• Visual inspection (e.g. weekly)
  • Pressure check (e.g. every two weeks)
  • Tread depth (e.g. monthly)

The frequency of these checks will vary based on customer, vehicle type and how the vehicle is used and may need to change in the future.

We want to have a single maintenance order open for each activity/vehicle combinations at all times so we can always perform the checks early and if the check is performed early for a vehicle we want the next check to be due earlier.  If we perform a pressure check a week early the next check should be due in two weeks not 3.

I only seem to be able to get the desired result by creating 3 single cycle plans per vehicle.  Is there a way to group this into a smaller number of plans?

I tried a strategy plan but found that the less frequent activities are only open when any earlier activities have been created.  In the example above I only get a tread depth order after completing 3 visual inspections and two pressure checks.

I tried a single cycle plan to manage each maintenance activity but found that I had to complete the activity for every piece of equipment before the next set of orders were called.

Not looking for somebody to step me through the the whole process but if you could suggest the most suitable type of maintenance plan and maybe point me towards some relevant fields I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Robyn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Robyn,

Prima-facie though this looks a strategy plan, it looks some ifs and buts need to be incorporated.

• As you mentioned, sometimes when situation gets too complex, it was addressed through multiple single cycle plans.
  • And then we need to make use of user-exit IPRM0002  for adjusting the plan dates automatically depending upon our conditions.
  • Similarly combination of a strategy plan and the user-exit  IPRM0002 can be another option to achieve your requirement.

There is expertise in this space to give you specific recommendations on your query. Wish they join this discussion soon to help you better.

Good luck

KJogeswaraRao

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robyn

I cannot tell you which one is better for you but I believe you may need to spend more time on Strategy Plans. Quick notes on Strategy Plans and I am sure you will be able to find lots of documents in SCN on the very same topic:

- You can allocate-link operations with packages and you can also determine how the system should behave by hierarchies: which operation should be repeated every package and which operation should be omitted. (Ref - Maintenance Package Hierarchy - Maintenance Planning (CS-AG/PM-PRM-MP) - SAP Library )

- Now, these all three packages you mentioned, will be intertwined with each other. In other words, they cannot have their independent scheduled dates/periods. If you want your maintenance plans to be independent from each other, in other words, for example if the scheduled dates of Visual Inspection is completely independent from Pressure Checks and if delays in any of these will not have any impacts on the other ones, then you should go with Single Cycle Plans...

Cheers

Savas