cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Replication Server as a service in Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

I have installed Replication Server and would like this Server to run as a Service. When I run it now from command line or from pathfinder i have a window 'hanging' - meanwhile the server runs well (I am unsuccesfull in starting it witout this prompt hanging):

So I have created a new service by using the following command:

sc create DWH_RS binPath= "C:\SYBASE\REP-15_5\bin\repsrvr.exe -SDWH_RS -CC:\SYBASE\DWH_RS.cfg -EC:\SYBASE\DWH_RS.log -IC:\SYBASE\ini\sql.ini" error=ignore start=auto displayname= "Replication Server DWH_RS"

When I try to start this service (from Services dialogue), it get the following message after less than 30 secs:

In the Server log I can see that the Server is in fact started, until services stops it with the message shown above.

Thanks, Mads

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mads,

try to right click on rs_init.exe and run it as administrator.

In this way the service will be created.

If you want to start the repserver using the RUN_FILE and let it run in background you can use

start /b <RS_SERVERNAME>.bat

Regards,

Marco.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am new to Sybase ASE HADR configuration for ASE 16.0. I have installed everything as per the standard official guide of SAP ASE HADR 16.03.07.

Our ECC system is installed and clustered in MS Fail-over Cluster with 2 Nodes. The same situation is at DR site.

As a part of setuphadr tasks, The Replication Server Service was created automatically on Node-1 on both primary and companion system. On other Node-2, The Replication Server service was also got created manually using the following commands and the service was created successfully.

sap_set_replication_service SiteT, create

sap_set_replication_service SiteT, <domain>\sybecm, Password

sap_set_replication_service SiteT, restart

The intention of doing this on Node-2 is to add this service in Failover cluster and to get it run on any node in case of failover/failback on clustered hosts.

But, the Replication Server Service is not getting started on another Node-2. where it is successfully getting started running on the Node-1. Once the service gets start successfully on another Node-2, I can add it is FailOver cluster manager to achieve HA in case of any Hardware failure of the host.

Any suggestion for this matter ? Why the Replication Server service is not getting started on anohter Node-2 when I move cluster resources to another node Node-2.

For DR Agent Service , I was able to configure on both clustered nodes and the DR Agent service is become part of clustered role and running successfully on both the clustered nodes of Primary as well as in DR site.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

terry_penna
Participant
0 Kudos

When you created the Replication Server (RS) using rs_init it should have created the windows service at that time?  Did you use some other method for creating the RS?  If you did can I get more details how you created the RS?

Regards

Terry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Terry

Yes I used rs_init for creating the Server. But I didn't find any option during the setup, where I had the possibility to create a windows service for the server. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks, Mads

terry_penna
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mads

Rs_init automatically creates the windows service when the RS is created.  There is only a -T SKIP_WINDOWS_SERVCE switch for rs_init if you do not want to create a windows service for RS.

Regards

Terry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Terry

Thanks for your reply. Very odd, I have only expirienced ra_init creating a service for the sample_rs replication server.

But making a service myself should also work I guess. But the problem seems to be that the start of the server 'hangs'. As shown in my initial post, also when starting the server from command line, the prompt hangs, and if closing the window: the server stops. So when I start it as a service, windows doesn't get proper reply, since the program hangs.

Is this normal behavior?

Br, Mads

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

The server doesn't 'hang' when starting from a command line.  You are seeing normal behaviour.  This is seen on Linux/Unix as well. All output once it starts goes to the .log file, not the console.

When starting on Linux, I usually have to start as follows:

nohup RUN_<>_RS &

and let it run in background.

You can try to run the command and redirect output, but the window will still show and 'wait' for shutdown.  e.g.

<server>_RS.bat > nohup.out 2>&1

Chris

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you use erssd ? or rssd in an ASE server ?

Before starting RS you need to have (e)rssd  to be up and available first.

HTH

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash

Thanks for your reply. I use the Embedded RSSD.

When I run repserv.exe ERSSD is also started and becomes available at the same time.

Br, Mads