Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiesce database and Dump Databse

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am little confused when to use which command for backup.

Can I use Quiesec database instead of Dump database all the time?

Or Should I use Quiesec database only at particular point in time.

What is the exact difference? Once I did a DB restore from Production to Quality where Quality was at 15.7 SP121 and Production was 15.7 SP50.

To do this I have used "DUMP DATABASE SID TO E:\BACKUPS\SIDBAK.DMP". I have restored to file to quality with LOAD DATABASE command.

Everything went fine but the version of quality remained same in SP121. I do have some idea as I have only loaded SAP data to Quality.

But My concern is to restore entire database what exactly has to be used? To make exact copy as production.

Please help me to understand this.

Best Regards,

Amarnath

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath,

Here is an SCN linked from april Backup strategy for Sybase ASE | SCN the question was  answered in detailed by Bret Halford's Profile | SCN this explains what the quiesce does.

Hope this will help you.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath,

You can use "quiesce database" To Suspend and later resume updates to a specified database. This will be helpful to put the database in the same state.

Dump of the database , You can take with/without putting the database in suspended state.

But if you want that database should be in the same consistent state during the time you want to take backup , Then you can use "quisce database" and take the backup . Hope this is clear.

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Johan/Gaurav,

I am clear about the part of consistency by using "quiesce database". But If I need to restore the version as well ex: My production is at SP50 and test box is at SP121. How do I load the database to rewrite the version as well?

Best Regards,

Amarnath

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath,

Once you restore the database from Production (15.7 SP50) to Test server (15.7 SP121) , Database will be upgraded to version SP121 as well.

In ASE, You cannot maintain a user database at different version than the Server version.

Hope this is clear.

~Regards Gaurav