cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow up BI migration query

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are moving BI 4.1 SP5 system from SQL Server on Windows 2008 R2 to Sybase on Windows 2012. I have gone through the administration guide and think this is the high level plan. Can you review and let me know your thoughts / Comments please.

1) Install Sybase on Windows 2012 server, Create database for CMS and Audit etc...per norm

2) Use system copy procedure in Administration Guide to perform export activities on source server

3) Use system copy procedure to import and build new target SQL Server on Windows 2012 from

4) Copy data from one CMS system database of SQL Server to Sybase. At this point both SQL server and Sybase are on same windows 2012 server
5) Perform post processing and validation

6) Uninstall SQL server from the newly built windows 2012

Does any one see any flaw or if you have any comment about improving it, please share your thoughts. Thank you again

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member205064
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All STEP LOOK FINE TO ME.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND IS BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY ABOVE THINGS. TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CMS DB AND FILE STORE. IT WILL HELP YOU REVERT INCASE SPMETHONG GOES WRONG.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Raunak for your comments. We are taking VM, DB and FS backups to protect from all eventualities.

Can I please request your thoughts on this further. In your opinion which is the most efficient

Heterogenous System Copy Vs New build with UMT biar export/import for objects.I hope UMT supports such a heterogenous migration but I have never done this so i cant really say with confidence. Your thoughts please ?

Regards

Kalyan

former_member205064
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

UMT is for complete\partial migration of content but only from 3.1 to 4.1 ENV.

IF you want to migrate content for 4.0\4.1to 4.0\4.1 then you will have to use Promotion Managment

refer link:-

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/How+to+Upgrade+to+BI4.0

if you have a VM Env and want to replicate and build a replica to PROD\DEV then "Copy Data Source " is the best Option.

refer:-

1275068 - Backup and restore BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.x / BI 4.x system from one environment to another environment

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

However, there is an unsupported flag that you can add to the end of the UMT command line:  -internal_use_only_noversioncheck.  Using this will allow you to migrate from a 4.0 system to a 4.1 system.  New object types, like Design Studio, Lumira, BI Workspaces, etc.  will not migrate, but usually there are few enough of those that they can be migrated fairly easily using Promotion Management.

I have successfully used this technique with several of my clients, but you won't get any support from SAP for it.

-Dell