Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SAP Content Server as storage for archive files

Clucking
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would be glad to get opinions and experiences.

I see from the documentation of the SAP Content Server that it can be used as storage also for archive files. It is advised to have the content server installed with a database instead as a file system because it gives extra administration and security options.

1. If I setup data archiving I assume that when the archiving file are send to the storage system - the file will no longer be in the file system where the write job saved the data. Will it then still be possible to get access to data like it is if the archiving file is still in the file system?
    E.g. when I choose to see a purchase order in ME23N i'm told that it will be retrieved from the archive and then viewed.

2. I know, that the SAP Content Server does not support optical archiving - but if I'm satisfied with this and rely on the database administration and backup procedures for the Content Server - do you then see any concerns using SAP Content Server for data archiving?

If no - do you know any companies using SAP Content Server for data archiving with success?

Thanks for all replies.

Claus.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Claus,

If I setup data archiving I assume that when the archiving file are send to the storage system - the file will no longer be in the file system where the write job saved the data. Will it then still be possible to get access to data like it is if the archiving file is still in the file system?

1. E.g. when I choose to see a purchase order in ME23N i'm told that it will be retrieved from the archive and then viewed.

Yes, it can be viewed as same in live system

I know, that the SAP Content Server does not support optical archiving - but if I'm satisfied with this and rely on the database administration and backup procedures for the Content Server - do you then see any concerns using SAP Content Server for data archiving?

Yes, I personally see them BUT CHECK IF THE BELOW ARE RECTIFIED IN LATEST VERSIONS OF CS

1)Typical content stored in SAP CS is training material and documentation from Knowledge Warehouse or technical drawings originating from PLM Document Management System.  It is not actually an archiving system & not purposefully made for data archiving. SAP CS for Windows is not released for data archiving

2) Regular backups are required

3) SAP CS FS Supports only storage in uncompressed format

4) If all your landscape is windows and if you want to data archive on windows SAP CS it is not possible as it is not released

5) SAP CS and the underlying SAP DB have to be installed on the same machine

6) SAP CS FS has administrative burdens. Restrictions has to be considered separately as per execution user rights may be AD or

7) SAP CS does not support replication

*) As far high availability is concerned with FS crashes every thing fails

9)The SAP CS backup strategy is to backup the complete DB/FS on external media which can be used to reconstruct the SAP Content Server.

10) Digital signature, masking(only Incase  of FS), caching....etc ....etc may be challenging tasks.

Claus - mail me to send few more parameters while I think about them.

@Dear SCNers - Throw some light if I am wrong some where.

Thanks,

Kolusu

Clucking
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kolusu,

Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer. I really appreciate this!

I have found a Danish company which uses the CS for data archiving - however they have installed the CS as file server where SAP recommend DB.

If you or others have more comments I will be glad.

Best regards

Claus.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claus,

I'm interesting exactly the same question what you asked about year ago.

Do you have implemented Content Server for archiving tasks?

Is it works fine or it's a bad idea?

Thank you.

Alexander

Clucking
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

My customer decided to use another solution but it will work with the SAP Content server with the limitations above.

Claus

Answers (0)