Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define the inbound idoc structure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am new to abap, I have a requirement to get data from external system. For that I have to configure inbound idocs. I have a doubt here. How to define the structure of the segments of idoc. Do we need to give the external system the structure we want or will they give the data structure they are sending ?

Is it mandatory to define parent child relation between segments for data coming from non sap system.if yes. How ?

1 REPLY 1

jitendra_it
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

How to define the structure of the segments of idoc. Do we need to give the external system the structure we want or will they give the data structure they are sending ?

You need to prepare mapping with third party(middleware if there) to maintain source and destination fields mapping. It will contain details like source field will be which destination field, what will be relation type(1:1 , 1:N etc).

Is it mandatory to define parent child relation between segments for data coming from non sap system.if yes. How ?

No its not mandatory. It depends on relationship of data. Take an example of PO. A PO can contain multiple line items so a PO idoc will have a one header and multiple child items under it.

There are many resources available on the net, so you can learn how to create segment/idoc type and relevant mapping.

You can start from here:

Defining and Using a Basic Type - IDoc Interface/ALE - SAP Library