cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s user id sharing

0 Kudos

Hi

I have been asked to share my s user id and i am not comfortable doing that.

1 we were told on training not to do it as if it is misused it could have consequences for us.

2 I do not see any reason why the people asking cannot create their own user ID.

is there anywhere i can look for the conditions of use of the s user id or anyone comment on this for me?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply. This is a third party to my company and they want my specific s-user id.

I am not sure why they do not want me to create them their own s-user id.

We were told on training if our s-user id is misused that SAP could take action against us and the company we work for. That is what is concerning me.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In case you are the person responsible for administrating S-user IDs in your company and the 3rd party is a contractor, you can probably explain to them the established procedure to obtain access and the estimated time to receive the S-user (for new people the process may be not so straight-forward).

If it is a really urgent matter (read a couple of notes before obtaining access officially), I guess that it is not a huge security problem if you download the corresponding pdfs so that they can read them (it is not the right way to do that, of course).

In all cases it is a good idea to understand the motivation beind the request, because this could indicate further problems with the contractor.

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Wayne,

I have several S numbers. One I received during my initial training years ago, but I also have access to specific S numbers for current and previous customers of mine that (depending on the customer) give me access to System Data, Licence Keys, Installation Guides, SAP downloads, SAP notes, etc.

Think about what these S numbers give access to; in the broadest terms, it includes

- access to a suppliers proprietary information (sap notes, documentation, downloads, etc),

- access to information about your employers systems

For most (if not all) of my current customers, sharing that information with customers or co workers without appropriate authorisation would be grounds for termination. More specifically, some of those S numbers give me the capability (should I choose) to install and run and maintain my own SAP systems, without paying SAP any money. Apart from whether SAP would catch me doing it, that would be plain wrong. Providing those S numkbers to someone who intended to do that would be wrong.

hth

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ask yourself: would you be comfortable to share with the same person your SAP user/password for DEV/PRD system? If the answer is no, then probably you would not wish to share your S-user/pass with him either.

As to the second statement - you need a S-user to access SAP notes and some other documentation, but unless you work for a SAP partner/customer, you cannot obtain it. S-user IDs in a corporate enironment are usually created and managed centrally (at least this was the case in the companies I have worked so far), so you are not supposed to just go and create it by yourself - the responsible administrator provides you with it and it takes some time to request and obtain it in large organizations.

In case this is a colleague who recently joined the project, I would ask him why he needs that instead of directly refusing to assist.