cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Folders and Groups without Users to BI 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm working on upgrading from XI 3.1 to Bi 4.1 for multiple environments. The groups and Folder structure is same across all environments but users are different. If we just migrate folders and respective groups without users and later add the users manually to all the groups, will it effect the security permissions?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your valuable inputs:)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I assume that your user groups aren't third party principals as we cannot add users manually.

In case of Enterprise user groups I believe that adding users manually while the right are already

assigned to groups will be ok and doesn't cause rights overwritten.

Thanks and regards,

Akram.

former_member420411
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

Please follow this process.

First time Migration:

Create two biar file 1) Users & Group, Business Folder, connection, Universe 2) Reports with folder

after migrating the both biar file setup the security.

Migration of reports or folder or Universe

Create only  one biar file wich contains reports or folder or Universe.

this will not affect the any security on report or folder.

Regards,

Piyush

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here's what I do quite successfully with my clients:

1.  On the new system, configure the third-party authentication types.  Bring in one user group through each authentication configuration to test that everything is working correctly, then take the group out of the authentication configuration and update to remove the group.  If you don't do this, users and groups will have different SI_CUID values and security won't migrate correctly.

2.  Now use the UMT to migrate the user groups with or without the users - I will usually work from the old production system so that I can get everything to match up.  After the migration, check the authentication configuration in the new system - you should see all of the groups that you selected from the old system there as well as in Users and User Groups.

-Dell

0 Kudos

Hi ,

If the permissions are at the group level then the impact should not be there. Are the groups you are referring to are third party groups?.

If it is AD groups then you need to first update the groups/ add groups in destination first and then start the migration.