cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder - Sub Folder Group Authorization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a folder below public folders in my deployment called EPIC.  Within the EPIC folder, there are several sub folders that all have to be secured to only one user group.  The issue I am having is that in order for all groups to have access to the EPIC folder, I grant access to the folder, yet when I go to grant access to subfolders, I have to explicitly deny access to the groups I do not want to have access to the subfolder.

Attached is a word document that outlines my folder structure and all the groups that need access to various subfolders under the EPIC folder.

My question is: Rather than explicitly denying access to the groups that I do not want to access a particular subfolder, is there any way to only grant access to those groups that actually require the access?

I find as I create more and more subfolders, this exercise is getting to be cumbersome as I am spending a large amount of time explicitly denying access to all the groups but one.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Please let me know if you require further information.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Justin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need create a custom access level with view rights with no inheritence. Just provide all the groups with new custom access level on the root folder  - in your case EPIC folder. And then go to each folder and provide the access to the group you want to give an access.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Thank you for the quick reply.  Please see attached screenshot of current access level.  So do I uncheck the checkboxes for objects / subobjects?  Is that how we remove inheritance?

If so, when I go to grant access to subfolder to group, do they have to be given a different access level?  I tried unchecking subobjects before and users could not see objects within the subfolder.

Thank you,

Justin

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

is EPIC only the parent folder under the root folder? or multiple folders at same level ?

are you maintaining  any group hierarchy under the user/groups?

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, there are several folders under the root folder.  By hierarchy under users and groups, do you mean sub groups?  I do not have any subgroups...I've never created subgroups before.

Thank you,

Justin

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you goto on the users/groups then in left panel you will see users/Groups/Groups Hierarchy.

Under the Groups hierarchy if you will maintain the groups hierarchy then it's easy to maintain your requirement.

Let say EPIC is my main group and all other groups under the child groups of EPIC.

After this on EPIC folder only grant the view access to EPIC user group and unchecked the inheritance  to sub folders.After that all subgroups under the EPIC folder can see the main folder without giving access on the EPIC folder.

Later on based on the access required grant the individual  user group access to  individual sub  folders.

Might be you try with some dummy folders and dummy group hierarchy to understand the group hierarchy access.

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

So, you are suggesting I create a new group with sub groups, correct?

ex, in group hierarchy:

EPIC

EPIC Child 1

EPIC Child 2

I created a top level folder called Test Folder with Test SubFolder 1 and Test SubFolder 2 subfolders

The EPIC group does not have any user in it, but has the two child groups.

So I grant Advanced -> View Objects right (unchecking subfolders) to the EPIC group, correct?

Then I grant whatever access is required to the groups/subfolders??

So EPIC Child 1 will have rights on Test SubFolder1 and EPIC Child 2 will have rights on SubFolder2

Would this work?

Do you have screenshots of how this should be set up that may assist me in my setup?

Thank you very much for your help!

Justin

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

yes,thats correct..your understanding is correct.

can you try to right click on group hierarchy and add the EPIC group.then right click on the EPIC group and add the sub groups.Group hierarchy will work from bottom to top inheritance.l

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

I was able right click on the Group Hierarchy and created EPIC group, I then placed the two sub groups under EPIC.

What do you mean by bottom to top inheritance?

Thanks,

Justin

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If groups hierarchy like this

EPIC

subgroup1

subgroup2

then all subgroup2 access inherited to subgroup1.

Amit