cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return movement types - 651 and 657

krishg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am trying to understand a difference between 651 and 657. I have seen lot of post in scn and an interesting snippet caught my eye,

"You could change the movement type to 657 (Returns

to Blocked Stock) which would be valuated. However, this would need to be

thought throuh in regard to - returns stock identification, warehouse

management, etc."

I understand 657 movement would result in valuated stock.. but what would be the disadvantage of 657 movement type when compared to 651. Could anyone please elaborate why one should not choose 657 (when we want return to be valuated)?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pretty much depends on how you run business.

Just imagine you create a return order when the customer calls you that he want send something back to you.

You then create the delivery to pick up the material.

You post the receipt with 651 when the material is on the truck, and you finally do a 453 or similar  when it arrives at your site.

or you organize your work to do the 45* movement after you processed the credit note.

That is something that you have to find out in the design phase and then you do the customizing accordingly

krishg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

Thanks for your reply.. When does it make sense to choose 657 over 651? Could you give a real world example where we would choose 657 for returns instead of 651?

Krish

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

first real world example: it was never discussed what alternatives are available for the customer return process, hence the movement types are as delivered by SAP and executed this way (forever).

second real world example: Users do not see any sense in doing the 453 step and want get rit of it to make the process more straight with less human effort, then you choose for example 657.

third real world example: Financials Accounting does not want the value of returns in the books until the decision is taken and the return is approved by the quality lab. So you choose 651.

And there might be many more cases, e.g. legal requirements which may not allow to have non-valuated goods on side.

krishg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

Thanks. The reason for my question is that we customized 651 by copying to new movement type (many years back). The customized movement type  behaves like 651 but is valuated.

Since this happened many years back, we do not know the reason for why this was done . I am trying to figure out if there was a particular reason why we would choose to customize 651 and not use 657. So trying to understand apart from valuation are there differences between 651 and 657 which makes 651 with valuation a better choice.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Honestly I can not even imagine what you did to make 651 valuated, it must have been a modification to the standard and not just a copy of a movement with some customizing changes, as the allowed changes cannot accomplish that a movement becomes valuated.

So this modification  is very special to your organization and I doubt that anyone else here can help you to know the reason why somebody in your company decided to do it this way. If the person who did this is still alive then you may have to find a way to contact him.

krishg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

ROFL ! That is why i am trying to figure out why they didn't choose 657.

Does 657 have a disadvantage from returns stock id that makes it a bad choice?

"You could change the movement type to 657 (Returns

to Blocked Stock) which would be valuated. However, this would need to be

thought throuh in regard to - returns stock identification, warehouse

management, etc."

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably pure lack of knowledge.

We find from time to time as well modifications in our system which could have been done easily by customizing changes.

Nowadays every modification in our company has to be approved by a round table with experts from business and IT, and we still find requests that do not need a modification at all.

If somebody is good in programming or changing table entries, then he spends less time thinking about standard customizing.

krishg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your time, Jurgen.. So I can safely conclude that we can use 657 if we want valuated returns (and the stock would still be blocked and not available for unrestricted use).

Answers (0)