cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charts only displayed after resizing of the browser window

0 Kudos

Dear community,

we are currently facing the problem that charts within a grid layout are not displayed at all after the loading of a dashboard tab.

There are just blank spaces where the charts should be. Only after resizing the window and therefore initiating a new rendering of the components, the charts are displayed.

Before resizing:

After resizing:

Some users face this issue with IE 11, some with Firefox ESR 38.

We don't know why some face it in IE, but are fine using it in Firefox and the other way around.

Searching the SAP notes, I found this note

2032507 - Charts in Dashboard not displayed within IE 11 on Windows 7 OS

which could be related to the problem we are facing.

But I was puzzled looking at the release date and the fact that this issue should be solved since DS 1.3 Support Pack 1.

We have currently installed DS 1.5 SP1 Patch 1 and are running it on BI Platform 4.1 SP6 Patch 2.

Are you facing similar issues?

Do you have an idea what I can do in order to solve this problem?

BR and thanks,

Agnetha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Agnetha,

To Clarify, the SAP note describes an issue which wasn't caused by Design Studio, it was a limitation of older version of the IE 11 browser, which Microsoft resolved in newer version of IE 11 browser.

So the issue detailed in the SAP note would still be reproducible in newer version of Design Studio, if an older version of IE 11 is used.

Could you confirm exactly what version of IE 11 you are using to reproduce this error? If you execute the dashboard in alternative browsers (chrome / firefox) do you still experience the blank chart issue on inital load of the dashboard?

Hopefully this issue can be resolved by a update of your IE 11 browser if possible....

Best regards,

Brian

0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply. I know that the SAP note describes that the issue was also connected to a IE limitation, but I don't understand:

If the issue wasn't caused at all by Design Studio then why is there this sentence in the note?

I have to check again for the exact version of IE 11 and will come back to you as soon as I got to know it. It is probably Version 11.0.9600.18097.

As I wrote, the issue also appears also in Firefox. I'm not sure if it occurs in Chrome too since we mostly use IE and Firefox...

BR,

Agnetha

0 Kudos

Hi Agnetha,

As the issue is also reproducible in Firefox, then its more than likely unrelated to the SAP note listed above. This was a quite specific issue in relation to very specific (early) version of IE 11....

Could you post more information in relation to this issue?

- this is more than likely not a BI platform issue, but just to confirm, can you open the designer clinet, connect to the dashboard and execute in local mode? Is the behaviour the same?

- Would it be correct to assume that height/width for each chart is set to auto? Please reply with height/width/margin settings for the gridlayout, and then also the chart which appear blank on initial load.

- Is the chart only contained within a gridlayout, or is there other containers also (panel/tabstrip?)

- please turn off animation in additonal properties within the chart. Can you reproduce the issue then?

Best regards,

Brian

0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

it doesn't matter if I open the application in local mode or on platform, the behaviour is the same.

It is correct that height and width are set to auto for each chart and also for the grid layout. The margins are set to 4px for the charts and 0px for the grid layout.

The grid layout is located inside a pagebook. This pagebook is contained in a panel.

If I turn off the animation in the additional properties of one chart in the application, the issue appears to be solved for the whole application.

I don't understand why turning the animation off for one chart does the trick for the whole app, do you?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

BR

Agnetha

0 Kudos

Hi Agnetha,

Yes, this is a known limitation with viz chart & animation, with charts where height/width set to auto, contained within a container component (which also has height/width set to auto!).

This only occurs when chart animation is set, and will no longer occur once chart animation is turned off. It is caused by design of our internal Chart library which we include in Design Studio.

This is resolved in newer versions of Design Studio with the new Info Chart component. In relation to the new Info chart component, it will be the go-to chart component going forward in future releases of Design Studio. New features for Design Studio charts will be for the Info Chart component only, with the legacy chart component being maintained in Design studio 1.6, but only in relation to backwards compatibility with dashboards created in older versions of Design Studio....

Best regards,

Brian

0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

interesting news concerning the InfoChart.

If I want to use InfoCharts in my older applications to avoid this issue and other possible Chart bugs, will there be a possibility to convert Charts into InfoCharts automatically in the future?

That would be a very useful feature.

BR

Agnetha

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a feature to migrate to InfoCharts today

Please see below:

Tools > Migrate to SAP Ui5 Mode -see below

0 Kudos

But will this migrate my whole application into SAPUI5 m Mode? Or only the selected component? Because in SAPUI5 m Mode some attributes, functions etc. are not available that can be used in the normal/commons mode and I'm not sure if this would be applicable for our older applications...

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This feature is so new that I think it is something to try for yourself and see how it goes

0 Kudos

Hi Agnetha,

The migration tool will convert all components from commons to "m" (not just selected components)  so yes, chart properties and other unsupported aspects of the various components can be lost as part of the migration process.

I would recommend maintaining your existing dashboards in commons mode, and creating new dashboards in "m" mode specifically.

Regarding the migration tool, it creates a brand new application in "m" mode, so you can still keep you older app in commons mode too.

I guess it really depends on each dashboard and its complexity  - so each dashboard should be migrated/not migrated on a case-by case basis.

Best regards,

Brian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could it have something to do with IE11 compatibility views?  See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11

0 Kudos

I don't think that this is the reason for it, because we face the same issues also with Firefox on some computers. But thank you for the idea, perhaps this will solve the problem at least for IE. I will get back to you as soon as I tried it and tell you the result.