Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

process dimension vs. Full Process Optimization

former_member244885
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm running BPC 7.5.

I'm just wondering, is there any difference between going to Admin > Console > Manage Dimensions > Process Dimension and say selecting an application to process vs. running a "Full Process Optimization" via the "Admin_Optimize" package, for the same application?

The only difference I can see is that you can compress and defrag in the package.  Aside from that, are the two processes doing the same thing?

(same thing being Processing the dimension)

Thanks,
Jon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

the two processes have different meaning and behaviour, process dimension makes available the changes of dimension members made after the last process dimension, full optimize don't do this try adding a dimension member and execute only a full optimize you will not see the new member in your context view.

Full optimize move the data from factwb and fac2 to fact table and compress the fact table, because bpc just made a logical delete and every time you change a value bpc add a record with the difference from the previous sum of the values instead of updating the value, so compress option will reduce the records writing only one with the sum of all values or nothing if the total is zero.

Please remember to close the threads when solved, see please How to close a discussion and why

Regards

Roberto

former_member244885
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  I have couple of follow-up questions:

So does process dimension include a full optimize as part of what it's doing?

If not, is it a best practice to perform a full optimize before, after, or both when you need to run a process dimension?

Thanks,

Jon

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

Jon Morisi wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I have couple of follow-up questions:

So does process dimension include a full optimize as part of what it's doing?

no

If not, is it a best practice to perform a full optimize before, after, or both when you need to run a process dimension?

no it isn't mandatory, you can look at admin console selecting your appset->vie appset statistics and see if one of your application has more then 50000 records in factwb (real-time), in this case just lite optimize is sufficient, or 500000 (half million) records in fact2 then you need a full opt. after you will see that only fact table will contain records.

Be careful that lite optimize with compression or full optimize will set your appset "not available" so you must be sure that no users are connected, that's why normally optimize packages are scheduled during night.

Please don't forget to close your threads after solved.

Regards

Roberto

Answers (0)