cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nakisa 4.3: Derived position structure not working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

We have recently upgraded to Nakisa 4.3 SP2, and we’re trying to get the new ‘derived’ position structure working, i.e. a structure showing only positions (not org units) but using the O-S relationships (instead of the S-S (A002) relationship, which we don't use). The user should see their own position first, with the option to drill up the structure to see the manager position of their org, and above, etc.

I can’t seem to get the combination of settings right in the Hierarchy > General Settings – it either shows nothing (i.e. can't find the root), or it just shows the user’s position on its own.

I've managed to get the user’s position to appear, but I cannot get the position above to appear – there is no ‘up-arrow’ at the top edge of the position box to allow me to click up.

I believe it’s the Hierarchy Parent Field that drives this - can anyone advise what this field needs to be set to?

If I enter ORGUNIT_ID_P, nothing is shown above the user's position. I've trawled the Admin Guide, but to no avail.

Cheers,
AJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AJ.

First of all I'd try seeing if you can get the derived position hierarchy working from a static root.  Start as simple as possible and then you know you have a solid place to start from.

Assuming that works fine I'd then take a look at the following things.

1. Check User -> Employee -> Position

It sounds like you are confident that your user account is associated with an employee that is incumbent in a position in your system.  If that isn't true I'd double check that.  A quick way might be to use the debug option when you're logged in.

2. Configure Dynamic Root

Here's a screen shot of the details from the 4.2 admin guide with regards to setting the root.

I'm not sure if "Position (Position)" is an ID field or a name field - I think it is but it may be something to look at if you do have trouble showing the structure beyond a single box.

However I'm wondering if the root of your issue is focussed on the getting of the small up navigation arrow to appear?  To do that you need to add a settings file.  Which brings me to...

3. Enable Up-Level Navigation

There's a setting to enable the navigation feature for moving up through the hierarchy.  In the SetingsResources .delta folder for your build (so outside of AdminConsole and in your app server file system) create a file called AllowUpLevelForRootTypeUser.txt and set it's content simply to the word true.  Load the updated build into AdminConsole, publish it and re-test.

Hopefully one or more of these will get you somewhere towards up and running.  Let us know how you get on and what does/does not work for you.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your swift and helpful response. I managed to get it to work for a static root as you advised – my issue before was that I was trying to start from the root org unit, but (of course) this is a position structure, so it needs a high-level root position (not org unit), e.g. CEO position, etc. It works fine.

So with these settings correct, I set it back to User record as the OrgChart root; btw, Position (Position) is the starting point for the logged in user -- again, using their position, rather than their org unit.

So… I think my problem is your point 3. I’ve logged in as the user, and can see their position, but can’t go up – so it definitely sounds like the issue you’ve described. I’ve asked our Basis team to add the setting file on the app server; just waiting for this to be sorted. I’ll let you know how it goes, hopefully this will resolve my problem.

Thanks again for your input, it’s very much appreciated. I'll post again as soon as I have an update.

Cheers,
AJ

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi AJ.

If you don't have file system access you can import content via AdminConsole (take a look in the admin guide - section 21.5) if you ZIP up your file into the right folder structure.  If you open an exported build you should get the idea.

A colleague of mine ( - who would post himself but who has a rather intermittent Internet connection on his train right now) has suggested a couple of other things to check...

4. Add-on Version

Make sure that you are using the 4.3 add-on version and that it has been deployed correctly.  Sometimes you can need to apply incremental updates if upgrading from an older version for example.

5. SAP Note

There's a SAP note that seems very similar to your issue, but I'd suggest you should try the above first before checking this.

SAP Note 2233839 -  TalentHubHRExec 4.3, View in Position Indirect Hierarchy Can't Go One Level Up

Whilst this note only references an STVN app (OrgChart is SOVN), the similarity is clear and the odds are that /NAKISA/OC_POS_STRUC_INDIRECT will also be used by OrgChart to generate the derived position hierarchy ... which would make it subject to the same issue.

My revised suspicion is that the combination of #3 and #5 will get things working, but it will be interesting to see if it is just #3 for example (which would be a quicker fix I'm guessing).

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Adding the txt file to the SettingsResources folder in the build zip file didn't work, there is still no option to navigate up from the currently displayed position.

I'll try to get the OSS note applied and let you know.

Thanks again. I'll post again as soon as I have an update.

Cheers,

AJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Sorry for delay in updating - Christmas break, etc.

I'm trying to get the OSS note applied, but it's returning an error as follows:

As there's no guidance on other includes that should be updated, I'm very reluctant to start adding data elements in just to get past the error. There are no pre-requisite notes to apply before applying this one, so I'm not sure where to go next...

Cheers,
AJ

StephenBurr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree, don't proceed.

Did you check the Add-On version (Check Your VSN Add-On Version - ERP Human Capital Management - SCN Wiki)?

Was the OSS note applicable for your version/system?

For 3), do you know how to add a file into your build so it ends up in the correct ".delta" directory?

Is the suggested file now in your build (i.e. if you export, can you see it in the ZIP generated)?

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your response.

I've checked the Add-on version (430_702_RF), but the OSS note does not seem to be specific to a version:

This document is not restricted to a software component or software component version

I'm not convinced this OSS note is required, because it says it provides "fixes for Talent Hub for HR and Executives"" - but Talent Hub is not used here - could be the reason why we're missing data elements from the delivered code.

I've also checked the (exported) build, and it contains the file AllowUpLevelForRootTypeUser.txt (containing the single word 'true') in the following folder:  \.delta\SettingsResources\

I'm stumped...

Cheers,
AJ

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi AJ.

Reading back I can see that when the S-S hierarchy is set as a static root, the chart renders correctly and that the issue is only occurring when you have a dynamic root and are trying to navigate up.

First thing I'd do to make sure you have a nice clean slate is to restart OrgChart in NetWeaver Admin.

Then, can you login as a user who is assigned to a position somewhere in the chart such that they have positions beneath them?  If so presumably this user can't navigate up, but can they navigate down setting a position beneath it as a new root for the chart ... and can the user then back up again?

Hopefully this would show whether it is an initialisation issue or if it is a more general navigation issue.

Assuming the issues persist perhaps try recreating it in an out of the box build.  If you can then it looks like it would be an issue to raise on OSS.  To be honest it wouldn't be the first occasion we've seen an issue with AllowUpLevelForRootTypeUser.txt not being picked up.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stephen - I'll try what you've suggested and get back to you.

Cheers,
AJ

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi AJ.

How did you get on with this?

Regards,

Stephen.

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AJ.

Can you confirm if this did work for you or what the current state is?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Sincerest apologies for the delay on this. The client put the Nakisa upgrade on hold, so unfortunately nothing progressed on that front. I never got to resolve the issue.

I've now finished at the client - the joys of being a contractor...

Cheers,
AJ

Answers (0)