Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to migrate BW on HANA

Loed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what's the best way to migrate to BW on HANA? What I usually read as the recommended method is the DMO..However, we are currently on BW 7.0 SP18..I think using DMO requires at least BW 7.0 SP25 (if I'm not mistaken)..So do we need to upgrade first up to SP25 then do the DMO option or is there another way which is better or does not require an upgrade from our current SP level?

Thank you..

Loed

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Loed,

The note 1813548 mention the 70 SP17 (basis) and 19 (BW) as pre-requisites.

Any source for the SP25 info ?

But you will still have to upgrade your SP.

Regards,

Frederic

Message was edited by: Frédéric Cincet "But you will still have to upgrade your SP"

Loed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frédéric,

I will get back to you regarding that SP25 thing, I will recheck the note I have read..

Thank you for the info with that SP19 level..

So based on your reply, are you also recommending the DMO process as the solution for migration to HANA? So we only need to upgrade to SP19 then do the DMO..Is that right? No other way where there is no upgrading of SP level?

EDIT:

I stand corrected, yes it's SP19..However, based on these PPTs, there are certain SP level needed to implement some notes for cleaning up the BW system, reducing the size, pre and post migrations tasks, etc. So does it really mean we need to upgrade first our current BW system before migrating to HANA? Is my understanding correct?

http://www.comerit.com/UserFiles/Downloads/HANA2014_A_to_Z_Guide_Part_1.pptx

http://csc-studentweb.lr.edu/swp/Berg/articles/BI_2014_HANA_2014/HANA2014_A_to_Z_Guide_Part_2.pptx

Regards,

Loed

Message was edited by: Loed Despuig

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Loed,

If there is a way (DMO from a 70 SP18), this will be an unofficial one. Are you ready to take the risk ?

Concerning the cleaning of your BW, it is necessary if you plan to optimize your Hana sizing or the downtime period but do you really need it in your context.

And  you probably have other ways to achieve the cleaning with no additional tools...

Regards,

Frederic