cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why SAP don't have it's own browser?

0 Kudos

As SAP applications are now running of Browsers. And we are facing many browser dependent issues. Why don't SAP have it's own browser? What are the pros and cons having it's own browser for SAP?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see no current or alternate reality where an SAP-developed web browser would yield a positive outcome for customers, partners, or SAP.  This may be simultaneously the worst and most frightening idea I've ever heard uttered in what I presume to be a serious question. 

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

mic drop

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP does have it's own "browser" since many years. It is called SAPGui.

It also has html controls so you can also start web applications within the SAPGui and engineer the GUI for those applications within the SAPGui.

However, the downside is that it is strictly speaking a server and not a client application so I guess that it is disqualified, or?

Cheers,

Julius

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not just SAPGui, there's also http://scn.sap.com/blogs/johnwargo/2014/01/25/sap-fiori-client , SAP Fiori Client – SAP Help Portal Page which basically is an enhanced web browser for FIORI Apps.

guillaume-hrc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Idea behind running a Web application is that you have nothing new to install on the user workstation (or mobile) and this is a good thing because it calls for simpler (UX-wise) applications (think of SAPUI5 for instance!).

If you force end users to install a new Web browser, we are (almost) back in old times where SAP Gui was needed to run SAP applications.

Besides, you will need to provide end users with a browser for their platform: Windows, Mac... but also Linux, Solaris, iOS, Android, ...

This is a huge effort from an editor's perspective!

Best regards,

Guillaume

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I guess for the same reason they also don't have their own Word or Excel or an ice cream brand...

Can you imagine how bad this browser would be?

Q: Why is there no Bookmark functionality?

A: The project manager totally screwed up here. This functionality is not available by design. Our design is that the customers will take a notepad and write down the website address using a pen (not included in your SAP license but available as a third party solution from our partners). However, we generously created BADI_ADD_BOOKMARK that customers can use to add this functionality at their own risk. The methods in this BADI are limited to creating and deleting bookmarks. Because no one in their right mind would ever want to change a bookmark (what a silly idea!).

Sincerely yours,

SAP

Methinks we better not put such ideas in the SAP executive heads.

faisal_pc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suleman,

I feel this is a nice thought. Many of the issues are related to browser. Not most though, many are there still. So it would be better to have own browser and then SAP doesn't have to release fixes for IE, firefox, Chrome etc. Create application which is suiting the own browser and thus reduce issues.

Thanks,

Faisal

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe it is safer to say that more and more SAP applications are becomming device independant through a browser, with the focus being on independancy.

People want to have acces to data and interact with it using laptops, mobiles, tablets, other (glasses?)

If SAP creates their own browser then your various browser dependant issues become device dependant issues.

Kind regards, Rob Dielemans

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Suleman,

In my opinion SAP must focus on the SAP. And as mentioned in one of the recent discussion in this place they must concentrate on fixing their own bugs.

As you know SAP is building up the future on HANA now. "Any OS and Any DB" saying is not valid for the future any more. OS and DB are named. Code is optimized according to HANA DB. Some part of business logic is put on DB layer.

For browser they could built up one of course.  But in my opinion, since it is a free tool and not strategic like DB, they will not built up one.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR