cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ambiguous ORACLE_SID: mismatch between instance name argument ('$DBMS_INSTANCE$ ') and ORACLE_SID

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are experiencing errors in the SAP Host Agent log after we updated LM-SERVICE to SP14 patch 1.

We are seeing this error for all systems :-

Ambiguous ORACLE_SID: mismatch between instance name argument ('$DBMS_INSTANCE$ ') and ORACLE_SID

Does anyone have any idea what's causing it and how I can stop this as the log is growing rapidly as a result?

Where is the $DBMS_INSTANCE$ variable coming from and what is the value?

Thanks

Craig

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

UPDATE

I've discovered where it's coming from now.  Within Agents Application Configuration there is a file under com.sap.smd.agent.application.e2emai > Application Resources > MAI/MetricCollectionDefinition.xml  which is obviously configured during Technical Monitoring when assigning templates.  However for Oracle databases you can't assign a template for Database Instance as there isn't one only one for SAP HANA.  So in the resultant XML file there is the entry for DATABASEINSTANCE it looks like this :-

<mai:CollectorContextParams>

<mai:Parameter name="DATABASEINSTANCE">

<![CDATA[$DBMS_INSTANCE$ ]]>

</mai:Parameter>

<mai:Parameter name="DATABASENAME">

<![CDATA[SID]]>

<mai:Parameter name="DATABASETYPE">

<![CDATA[ora]]>

</mai:CollectorContextParams>

By editing this file and replacing the $DBMS_INSTANCE$ with the SID value you get rid of this error once uploaded.  I can only assume this is a bug and should be ignoring this if there is no value and using just the DATABASENAME value instead.

Hope this helps someone else, I might just raise another SAP Incident about this.

Cheers

Craig

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I finally found a solution.

SAP note 2238977 - MS SQL Server instance does not exist

Even though it states MS SQL Server this applies to all databases.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

This is no helpful. Thanks a lot. I have same reservations about the bug. But after implementing the note in SAP, the error still comes up in hostagent logs at OS level. I am not willing to modify the XML file yet. Does it need modification or restart of SMD Agent or any other activities ?

Please confirm.

Thanks and Regards,

Karan Shah

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karan,

Apologies been quite busy.

I think you need to reconfigure Technical monitoring for this to be corrected.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Craig

Answers (0)