cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a hybrid model with data that come from E&A and BICA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello BI experts,

We have a PAS model already created, it's data comes from E&A. This data is consumed by the Scorecard created in Strategy Management 10.1.  In a new phase of the project, we need to add some indicators that take data from BW.

It is possible to make this hybrid model from the current PAS model whose data come from E&A? or to be able to make a Hybrid model is necessary to create as a first step the process in BICA. This implies that the model first will be created on BICA, so if i have already data on the PAS cube from E&A, i will need to start over again.

If this is correct, there is a workaround that achieves the creation of a hybrid model using the current  PAS model  that takes data from E&A?

Best regards,

Sara Calle.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sara,

The concern is that for a model to use data from BW loaded via BICA the model has to be created by BICA in the first place. During this process there are a number of internal references that are used to map the 2 together. I am sure that it is possible to recreate the references that would be required for the mapping but suspect it would be a fiddly job. Plus it is not documented so there is no check list for your reverse engineering process!

Not knowing how much data you have loaded via E & A it is hard to know how much work it would be to recreate the measure sets so they point at the new BICA created model and to reload all the data but this would be my inclination if only to be sure that there were no leftovers from the previous version to foul things up down the line somewhere! You can extract the data to Excel using the Historic and Target data functions and then copy paste into the new measure sets. Takes some time and manual effort but it may be the most effective way to do it in the end so that you avoid an unforeseen 'gotcha'.

Regards

Colin Cooper

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Colin,

Thanks for your comment.

When you said : "You can extract the data to Excel using the Historic and Target data functions and then copy paste into the new measure sets."

You mean that i have the option to upload data to the new measures sets created by E&A in the new model (Hybrid) or in BICA?.

Regards

Sara.

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sara,

Yes. Once you have your new model in place you can create new measure sets in E&A pointing at your new model for those measures that will be loaded manually in future. Once these new measure sets are in place you can use the Historic data option in Entry & Approval to download the data to Excel from the old model and copy/paste it into the new measure sets in the new model you will have created using BICA.

It is very normal for a model created using BICA and where the measures have been created in BICA to have at least some measures loaded via E&A. For example your Actual values may be loaded via BICA but the Target values are loaded via E&A because those Target values simply don't exist in BW. Effectively you are creating the structure of the PAS model via BICA but that does not prevent you populating it via E&A.

The downside of this approach is that it takes a bit more manual intervention. But the upside is that this process is that you can take it step by step, you have complete control and you eliminate the possibility that you inadvertently bring over data that you were not expecting to!

Regards

Colin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

Did you try if renaming the PAS model to "*****PBI"  could help to use this model in BICA? Are you trying to create a hybrid model or you need to keep all the current data which are entered in Entry and Approval and make the model to be usable in BICA as well? I ask this question because the configurations in Entry and Approval are based on the model name, renaming the PAS model won't keep the data/configurations entered previously.

Regards,

Alicia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for your comment.

About your first question the option "Rename" isn't available, so I can't  do the test you suggest. About your other question I need to keep all the current data which are entered in Entry and Approval and make the model to be usable in BICA as well.

Regards

Sara