cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we restrict values in Drop down list (F4) in Analysis Office

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We have a requirement where in we need to restrict the values a user sees in the drop down list in the Input Templates. We are using Office Analysis 2.2

The challenge here is that the info object (Cost Center) is not Authorization Relevant. The client wants to maintain the possible values for each user in a DSO. The drop down list should show the values assigned to the user in the DSO.

Any ideas as to how we can achieve this?

Thanks

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I think what you look for is described here?!

Details - SAP Business Explorer - SAP Library

Users can also use input help to select the variables in the variable screen. Business Add-In (BAdI) RSR_VARIABLE_F4_RESTRICT_BADI can be used to set various criteria for input help for input-ready variables in the variable screen. For more information, see F1 help for this BAdI (transaction SE18, enhancement spot RSR_VARIABLE_F4_RESTRICT).

Best regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin / Joost,

We are testing it out. I am planning to use the GET_RESTRICTION_NODE method so that I can pass either a single node or a base level member.

Will keep you updated.

Regards

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin / Joost.

We have spent the whole day today to make it work but could not. We are able to get the values desired in the c_t_node. However, the drop down list is not reflecting the values being passed. It is showing the entire hierarchy.

Caveat: We tried using the get_restriction_flat method to check and it seems to work fine, but the challenge is that the users have a combination of nodes and children and the flat method does not support nodes.

This is the code.

And these are the values we expect to be reflected in the dropdown list.

We are not sure what we are missing. The above values get into c_t_node but nothing gets passed to the F4 list.

Any guidance?

Sunil

joost_peeters2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

we've only implemented the GET_RESTRICTION_FLAT method, so I don't know exactly how the hierarchy and hierarchy node methods need to be implemented...

Maybe you can start from the sample of mehtod GET_RESTRICTION_NODE in class CL_RSR_VAR_F4_RESTRICT_EXAMPLE ? Or just hardcode one node value in your code and start from there.

Also, is your variable defined as a customer exit variable?

Best regards,

Joost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I think what Joost proposed makes sense... There is a c_t_hierarchy instead of a c_t_node.

Can you check this example?

Best regards, Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Guys,

I think I have it working now. The issue with using the Restrict_Node was that it was working "As Designed" but not "As Expected".

I was comparing it to a behavior that the users currently are used to in the SEM-BPS module.

I will post a detailed blog as I have learnt many things around this functionality.

I was able to make it work with both an Exit Variable, Hierarchy Variable and Characteristic Variable.

Sunil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I just wanted to update this post with this Note: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2169597

We found out that via the BICS Interface (AO, Design Studio), the F4 Badis are executed unnecessarily often!

"... this solution also contains corrections to avoid certain unnecessary F4 BADI calls."

Update:

It is valid only for 7.4 ... why not all???  

BR, Martin

joost_peeters2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Martin. We're also going to implement this note. Did you notice performance improvements after implementing the note?

Br,

Joost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joost,

I cannot tell about any improvements since we are not on 7.4 and cannot test it.

@ SAP: It is just embarrassing!!!

BR, Martin

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tammy,

Thanks for the link. However none of those apply to our situation. This is our need.

We have a custom DSO with the following characteristics.

User Name, Co Area, Cost Center

This DSO holds the "Authorized" values for each user (Cost Center / Cost Center Nodes). The client does NOT want to make Cost Center "Authorization Relevant".

In Analysis office, when the users open the Planning Input Templates, the drop down list for that user should populate based on the values assigned to him in this Custom DSO.

I was trying to figure out which function modules or customer exits are available to force the population of the drop down list from the custom DSO.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Sunil

joost_peeters2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

we had a similar requirement (list of values for WBS codes in prompts screen restricted based on entries in DSO) and implemented it using the same approach suggested.

Best regards,

Joost