Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Extraction from SAP ECC using Informatica

ashok_oleti
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

We have a requirement to extract data from SAP ECC system and load it into Hadoop using Informatica (Version 10).

Being an SAP Basis guy I have gone through the configuration guide provided by Informatica for the setup details but however I could not understand the data extraction methods and have below queries in that context.

1) Will Informatica extract data directly from tables or from DSOs in the ECC system?

2) What would be the approach to extract the delta data daily from SAP and load into target (Hadoop in this case)

Regards,

Ashok Oleti.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashok,

Let me try to answer your questions:

Q1. Will Informatica extract data directly from tables or from DSOs in the ECC system?

A1. A DSO is a persistent metadata object in BW. So you normally will not find DSOs in ECC. I think that Informatica will extract data directly from tables.

Possibly Informatica can connect to so called DataSources. A DataSource is an extraction program created by SAP or the customer. This is best practice way to extract data by BW or Data Services. A strong advantage is the packaging concept.

Q2. What would be the approach to extract the delta data daily from SAP and load into target (Hadoop in this case)

A2. DataSources often offer an out-of-the-box delta mechanism. Recently SAP also introduced the so called ODP (Operational Data Provisioning) framework. I don't know if Infomatica can connect to it or not.

If it does not answer your questions, please share the configuration guide / documentation which you have obtained. Please indicate where we can read the most important information.

Best regards,

Sander

ashok_oleti
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Sander.. yeah I got confused with DSOs and Datasources in ECC

After some search and study, I can see that there are 2 scenarios which provided by Informatica for SAP can be used in our case. 1. Business Content Integration (BCI) to extract data from Data Sources 2. ABAP program to extract directly from tables

Informatica Supports Delta extraction in both the cases.

Thanks again

Regards,

Ashok Oleti

Answers (0)