cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Platform Support Tool Issue: E2E Trace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am attempting to use the new integrated E2E trace tool within BIPST v2.0.  I know in the past we had issues where we would have to launch the exe with elevated privileges for it to run from a client machine. 

So now, I have installed BIPST on my client machine and launched it with elevated permissions.  I clicked on End to End Trace and connected to the appropriate CMS.  In the lower left, i see that I can put my admin credentials there too.  So I do that.  I start the trace -- it launches IE, but then throws the error of No candidate process found. 

If I close out if it and IE and return to the BIPST, the tool just hangs on Steps 3: Execute Trace - there is no back option and at the bottom, it spins with the message of 'Now overriding the BO_trace.ini'.  Clicking Next seems to do nothing other than hang the wizard/support tool. 

I have tried launching the BIPST with elevated privileges and putting in my admin credentials in the E2E, as well as launching with without admin privileges and only putting my admin credentials in the E2E. 

Ideas on what's going on/How to resolve that?

Thanks,

Missy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mfoeken
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Missy,

From which location are you running the BIPST? I encountered similar 'hanging' issue when I launched the BIPST from a file location which requires administrator priviliges. When I moved the BIPST to the root directory of C:\ it was resolved.

Hope this helps!

With kind regards,

Martijn van Foeken | Just-BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martijn,

I installed it in a folder a few levels down on my C drive and also just tried it out of C:\, but no luck still. 

Whatever the E2E trace 'does' to set up (for lack of a better description) prior to launching, it has always required me to put in admin credentials to launch it on my client machine.  However, either selecting 'Run as Administrator' and filling in my admin username/password or being prompted for it, usually resolved it and let the trace launch and run fine.  That was with the standalone trace tool though.

Now that everything is integrated, I am trying to run the E2E trace from within the BIPST.  I don't have to launch the BIPST with admin credentials - it seems to launch fine, the landscape analysis runs, and I used some of the other tools so far okay, too .  It's just I can't seem to successfully launch/start the E2E trace... it's nice that it lets you put your admin username/password in directly this time, but even that doesn't seem to make a difference....

Thanks,

Missy

mfoeken
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Missy,

Have you checked the trace file / log generated by the BIPST itself?

With kind regards,

Martijn van Foeken | Just-BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep:

1) When I launch BIPST as administrator, and fill in admin creds in the E2E trace window and launch it -- IE opens, message of No candidate processes found is received.

The BIPST log says it can't find the preferences.xml file and gives a path like C:\Users\Administrators\....

2) When I launch BIPST not as administrator, but do fill in admin creds in the E2E trace window and launch it -- same message and error as #1. There's a lot of other messages, but none look like errors necessarily.

3) When I launch BIPST not as administrator and do not fill in admin creds in E2E trace window and launch it -- IE opens, message of Error occurred starting plugin is received.

The BIPST log still has same error about not being able to find preferences.xml file and still gives path like C:\Users\Administrators\

Is there a way to change this 'default' location for where it looks for preferences.xml??

I would think it might be keying off the E2E Work Directory (though I know that goes a directory too deep)... or I guess Application Settings Data Folder (under Preferences > User) however, that path changes depending on which user I launch the BIPST with and appears correct (preferences.xml IS in that file path, as I would expect)..... so I don't know why it keeps trying to look for the preferences.xml file in the Users\Administrators directory? Which btw, does not exist...

That's why I thought I had to do some special combination of launching with admin creds or not launching with admin creds, etc., so the directories would align, but I am not sure what other combination to try.

Thanks,
Missy

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Missy,

Would you be available tomorrow or Monday for a quick Citrix Web Session?  I'd like to spend some time with you to get the E2E Trace Wizard working.  If any code fix is required I can implement this straight away. 

Please send me an email at toby.johnston@sap.com and we can setup a time for a quick meetnig.

Thanks for reporting the problem!

Regards,

Toby