cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to Keycode.dll in Crystal Report 11.5 R2

0 Kudos

I'm in the process of wrapping up our installer.  Making sure I have all the files correctly in place after importing all the merge files that were supplied for deployment.

In the craxddrt.dep file, where you get a listing of all the dependencies, it shows that keycode.dll should exist in the \Program Files\common files\Business Objects\3.0\bin\keycode.dll

Now, with 11.5 R2 being installed, the version folder under bin is actually 3.5.

I've noticed a couple small discrepancies in the file....

Example.  It shows in the dependency file that cslibu-2-0-0.dll should be deployed.  However, when you use dependency walker on craxddrt.dll, you see that it says it needs cslibu-2-1.dll.

It may be that this file isn't even needed.  However, I did noticed that there is a file named keydecoder.dll in the bin directory.  Maybe they just renamed it.

If anybody has any information on if this file was deprecated, or if it was renamed, or replaced with something else, I would love to hear what you have.

Thanks everyone!

Jeff Gibson

Intercept Solutions

Nashville, TN

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff

In most instances, craxddrt.dll was not licensed to be used in application development. You'd normally want to use craxdrt.dll as craxddrt.dll required pretty pricey Report Creation API licensing. So, unless you have obtained licenses for craxddrt, change your references to craxdrt.dll.

As for the rest of your description - from what I remember all we had to do is add the merge modules to a deployment project, using the Orca utility add the keycode to the CrystalReports11_5_RDC_License.msm and voila. Now you mention .dep files which indicates that you are trying to use the Deployment and Packaging Wizard from VB 6(?). In CR XI R2, the dep files were not complete and using a deployment utility such as InstallShield was the way to go. Dep files were just not the way to go (I am not sure why they were part of the intsall, but I do know they did not work...).

Now a few things to remember:

CR 11.5 (XI R2) has been out of support for over three years now.

The latest Operating Systems are not supported, see the following wiki for more info:

Crystal Reports v. 9.1 to SAP Crystal Reports 2013, Runtime Distribution and Supported Operating Sys...

You want to be using SP 6, e.g.; version 11.5.12.1838. If you do not have SP 6, see the following blog on how to obtain it:

Finally, all of the above is associated with various levels of murkiness - the product being out of support for so long

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place

0 Kudos

Thank you Ludek,

We are actually running a PowerBuilder application (PB 11.5), and have used Crystal Report internally in it in order to generate some of our reports.

We have been running version 10 of Crystal Reports for the longest time, but wanted the ability to use the option to treat a column like a rich text field.  We had to bump up to Crystal Reports 11.5 R2 to do this.

I've just been going through the dep files (which more or less just seem like a road map), and building our install in an old copy of Wise 9.0.2.  So at this point, we are unable to attach a merge module to our install.  However, we were successful in deploying Crystal Reports 10 with our app.  Managed to segregate the files needed for CR10 into our own directory within our application.

I'm not convinced we may not need to OEM/license this portion of Crystal Reports into our application.  However, since it's more difficult to deploy the .NET version of Crystal Reports within a PowerBuilder application, we're going to just park ourselves in Crystal Reports 11.5 R2 for now.  There are ways to implement the assemblies into a PowerBuilder app, but we will jump back into those when we get some of the major functionality done in our application.

So if I follow correctly, it sounds like this keycode.dll file is not critical then?

Jeff Gibson

Intercept Solutions

Nashville, TN

0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

As Ludek said, the Embedded Report Designer required a RCAPI keycode to allow it to be used in an application. It will not work unless one is used. If you do get it working you are using it illegally.

If you use Modules you'll see there is a keycode.dll being loaded from somewhere and yes it is critical, CR will not run unless you have one.

Call Sales, they may be able to sell you one.

Only other option is to go back to CR 10 which you had a RCAPI keycode.

Don

0 Kudos

Moved to Legacy SDK forum

0 Kudos

Ludek,

After a lot of trials and tribulations.  I was successful in deploying Crystal Reports 11.5R2 within our own installer.

We didn't have to use the merge modules. In fact, we're still deploying it using the old Wise 9.0.2 professional.  Which is not only out of support, but the company went out of business.

So, if anybody has any questions on installing the Crystal Reports viewer sandboxed into your own application, and not using the merge modules, don't hesitate to reach out to me!!

Jeff Gibson

Intercept Solutions

Nashville, TN

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wow Jeff. You're more stubborn that me

I remember spending quite a bit of time trying to create DEP files for CR XI R2 so that these could be used with the Packaging Wizard. I failed miserably.

So kudos to you for getting it to work in WISE.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek!!

The winning combination was going back to a 32bit box.  That's what allowed me to see what Wise was throwing errors.  When we tested it in a 64bit environment, we would just never get the errors.

Took a few tweaks.  Lots of working with Dependency Walker to see what files were required.  What files needed to be registered.  What files were a shared DLL.

To be honest, we have planes to move to InstallAware.  However, we needed to get this part up and running first because we know there will be a learning curve with InstallAware.

There was one deployment file that was missing in the install.  It did not show in the dep files from what I could find.  But when I started checking the deployed files on my install box, multiple files came up saying it needed this file.  Once I got the file in the entire thing came to live.

I would be glad to show you the script if you want to take this offline.

Jeff Gibson

Intercept Solutions

Nashville, TN

Answers (0)