cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GLM+ print request functionality

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I have a customer with requirements similar to what is delivered in EHP7 (print requests and logging functionality).

The customer is not too keen to use this new functionality provided in EHP7 due to the fact that none of their consultants has worked with this before.

Instead they plan to build a background job collecting all labels that is needed for all their process order and print them in the background. To me this is not a great approach because instead of using new SAP technology they create the same functionality by them self and that is not supported by SAP.

Does anyone have any experience of the print request functionality in EHP7?

I have set up everything on the SAP side so I have a rather good understanding of how it works but what I lack is the knowledge of how the WWI server works for printing.

We use the WWI server for the creation of labels today but what is needed to be able to also print from it? I have read about the WWI DMS requirement but how much work is that to set that up? Will that effect the sites that already has gone live? (This is one concern that the customer have). Would it be better to install a separate WWI server for printing? 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kristoffer

I assume you have checked documents e.g:

and other links.

I tried to find some "official" SAP presentation. I found by hazard: one: http://events.asug.com/2013ac/product%20lifecycle%20management/2702%20news%20about%20sap%20ehs%20man...

Check page 27 etc.

I believe you should not make it to "complex" (context "but what I lack is the knowledge of how the WWI server works for printing")..

May be take a look once again in online help e.g.

Printing of Labels Using Print Requests - Global Label Management (EHS-SAF-GLM) - SAP Library

Automatic Print Request Generation - Global Label Management (EHS-SAF-GLM) - SAP Library

You will find as well oher sources of information (e.g. db:: 3.88::SAP GLM Print Request - Load Balancing of WWI server 7j)

It is more or less the "approach" on WWI server side (according to my understanding) how to handle the "print stream" in combination with SAP

In context of

We use the WWI server for the creation of labels today but what is needed to be able to also print from it?

=> may be you might have the "wrong" understanding here (please check the many thread in the document as embedded)

IN context of:

I have read about the WWI DMS requirement but how much work is that to set that up? Will that effect

the sites that already has gone live? (This is one concern that the customer)

According to my knowledge: the set up is done by WWI server used in GLM (PAY ATTENTION); There are some other  threads discussing this DMS topic;  based on"complexity" you need an "add on" database installed; you have here the "wrong" understanding ( I assume) of the basic WWI architecture; to make it simple: in my opinion: there is now effect on sites which are live (and using GLM)

In context of:

Would it be better to install a separate WWI server for printing?

According to my knowledge of SAP set up: this is not possible (not knowing the "deep" details of GLM+ as we are not using this)

You need to differentiate generally between a WWI server used in "GLM" and that one not used for GLM; this is very important !

Before GLM+ the story was "simple". You have one "link" (an environment parameter) to SAP and using this link you can set up as many WWI servers you like (they work "synchron") for GLM purposes (generating and printing); with the new GLM+ I am not "100%" sure if the same is still true (check e.g. Label Printing with the SAP Spool System - Global Label Management (EHS-SAF-GLM) - SAP Library

Especially thread Does ehp7 in sap ehs prints file without using ... | SCN might be of interest

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Now I have solved all my problems and we are up and running with print request in our EHP7 system.

Hi!

I have a customer with requirements similar to what is delivered in EHP7 (print requests and logging functionality).

The customer is not too keen to use this new functionality provided in EHP7 due to the fact that none of their consultants has worked with this before.

- They finally went along with this new solution

Instead they plan to build a background job collecting all labels that is needed for all their process order and print them in the background. To me this is not a great approach because instead of using new SAP technology they create the same functionality by them self and that is not supported by SAP.

Does anyone have any experience of the print request functionality in EHP7?

I have set up everything on the SAP side so I have a rather good understanding of how it works but what I lack is the knowledge of how the WWI server works for printing.

- The WWI part was not that complicated. We re installed the WWI server and set up the print steps during the installation.

We use the WWI server for the creation of labels today but what is needed to be able to also print from it? I have read about the WWI DMS requirement but how much work is that to set that up? Will that effect the sites that already has gone live? (This is one concern that the customer have). Would it be better to install a separate WWI server for printing?

- We only needed to install a SQL server and the installation was fairly simple.

We have activated the print request for process orders and that was also quite easy.

I think that the solution lack the opposites to configure the printout more in detail. We have labels that we would like to print in a specific language but the system only tries to find labels generated in the SV language and sometime we would like to print them in EN when they are shipped to the US. There should be a possibility to set this on the material or just to print all generated labels regardless of the PLANT language where the system gets this information from today.

We would also be able to turn of Hierarchy Explosion of for some materials but this is not possible. We can do it when we generate the labels manually but when the system does it in the background it always use the Hierarchy Explosion.