Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateway data transfer problem with large data blocks

richard_fallon2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We currently have a problem with a Gateway service whilst transferring large amounts of data (>0.25GByte), intermittently during the transfer the transfer stops and eventually times-out, the performance-trace for a transfer looks identical for  BOTH a successful/non-successful transfer.

When attempting to open the payload-trace, SAPGUI terminates and a short-dump is produced, thus no further information  can be obtained.

There are no errors (-which we can find) on the Gateway when this problem occurs.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Is it possible to complete a TCP/IP trace (– without causing further problems) on a production system?

I notice there is a parameter on the GW to test for network fragmentation (gw/nifragtest) on the network layer, could this help?

Any other suggestions?

thanks and regards,

Richard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

richard_fallon2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thank you to all for the suggestions, comments etc., it turns out that the problem with buffers lies in a different (non SAP) part of our system.

Thanks again,

Richard

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

According to me GW layer is not meant for transfer of large amount of data. Its for light weight application.

I feel SAP PI would be the suitable option here to handle huge data transfer.

Regards,

Ashwin

richard_fallon2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwin,

I appreciate your reply, but what parameter defines or limits the maximum size of buffers which can be transferred. ie. What is the upper limit for such transfers on the GW.

regards,

Richard

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

As far as i know there is no such limit defined for data size but handling large volume of data is not recommended through GW.

Regards,

Ashwin

richard_fallon2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwin,

again thanks for your reply. Where do you see in the SAP literature (-link would be appreciated)  that SAP GW is not recommend for such large data transfer?

regards,

Richard

former_member184867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is some info that might be useful for you...

File size is mentioned in Internet Communication Manager level. Gateway does not restrict or impose anything.

Here is  the link for you for further details ...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/48/3e87b3ca6b72d0e10000000a42189c/content.htm?frame...

Still it would be worth considering if Gateway should be used as a medium to transfer very big files.

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is right. Gateway does not put any restrictions on size of the load.

Gateway puts OData restrictions on regular REST service. This 'OData' is suited/designed for consumption by UI libraries like SAPUI5. Seeing huge amount of data, I think you are doing a system to system communication, which is the main use case of SAP PI.

If you do not have SAP PI, I would suggest having a simple http ICF service for your requirement. That would save lots of parsing overhead (computation) and payload overhead (OData grammar).

Regards

Krishna