cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your prefered source control version tool ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

What source control version control tool are you using with PowerBuilder ?

What is your prefered one and why ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If Subversion is used as the SCM then the Agent SVN MS-SCCI plug-in will seamlessly integrate PB and Subversion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our app is developed with some of us scattered around the globe so PowerVCS, working on the cloud, has given us great benefit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check out Plastic SCM. It has unique branching and merging features that are hard to part with once you've used them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Surprised that no-one has mentioned Perforce. It's very reasonably priced, works really well and the diff and merge tools are excellent.

We chose it for our team of four developers because it is fully and properly supported and wasn't going to break the bank. Clearcase, TFS and Rational were way too much money for a small team. You'd need quite a few developers to cost justify them. With the experience of Perforce over several years I'd happily recommend that over the others anyway.

And.... I haven't looked recently but you used to be able to run a limited copy for free. I used it at home for some personal projects.

$0.02, Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrice;

FWIW: At my current government client they are using Rational ClearCase from IBM. Not only have they been utilizing this software for almost 15 years, it is also integrated with their ClearQuest product. That way, they can see everything from the initial bug report (ticket), to the analysis ticket, to the development ticket, the QA ticket and production deployment ticket. That gives them a complete history of the problems, who worked on, when was it repaired, how did they fix it, how many QA Cycles did it take to get a clean test, how was it tested, when was the fix deployed into production, etc. A complete view of the SDLC process including the PB Application source changes.

There are many SCM's on the market today that work very well with PB. If you could tell us a little bit about your objectives for using an SCM with PB - we might be able to suggest other alternatives (like Matt has already done).

Regards .. Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Indeed, as a consultant, I had to work with a lot of different ones, in fact the ones used by the client :

- PB Native,

- ObjectCycles,

- TFS,

- SVN,

- GITHUB,

- SubVersion,

- Rational Synergy,

etc.

Each time, the goal was mainly to mix up developer team changes in order to produce integrated release, and to use external tool like JIRA or Rational Change or even excel sheets to follow-up issues and their fixes.

For instance, my client use Rational Synergy + Rational Change and we must struggle in order to obtains the last version of the changed objects to integrate in the next release. I have to say that they don't use the last version of the tools, and that they do not plan to upgrade at all..!

For my own private or open source development, I mainly use TFS for its simplicity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Of course, I prefer to use SCS that are well integrated in PB IDE through the SCC API...

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI 2 all

is object Cyclones alive ? Can i use it with pb12.6 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

which One are free ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrice;

I really miss ObjectCycle ... RIP!  

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, I'm sorry. This is the last version available of OC 2 that a client still use along with PB 5...

I know that there is a kind of look a like tool made by Roland Smith at ww.topwizprogramming.com called WizSource that store objects source versions into a database like did OC. But I did not try it yet !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

ObjectCycle came with PB6 and used SQL Anywhere 5.5 for the repository.

WizSource is free for single users. http://www.topwizprogramming.com/wizsource.html

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris:

What is the proportionate cost for ClearCase?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John;

A great question ... and, I have no idea what IBM charges these days for those products. It's all part of their RUP (Rational Unified Process). You would have to contact IBM for current pricing. The Canadian Government also gets a significant discount on this as well I believe.

Sorry that I could not be if more insight on  this.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

First choice - Wizsource - easy to use - low cost - developed using PowerBuilder by Roland Smith

Second: Visual Sourcesafe v 6 (no longer supported by Micro$oft) but also easy to  administer

Last choice: TFS - bloated similar to all current M$ products - merge is very error prone.