cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for putaway (P - Storage unit type) special bin possible?

0 Kudos

Hi,

In one of our warehouses we have a special situation and I am wondering if it is possible.

We defined for below bin, that it is possible to only put 2 HIGH pallets (with storage bin type allowing 2 quants)

Now it should be possible to put 2 other storage units in the "empty" spot. Because of the lack of space the people want to use this. In that spot they are able to put one LOW pallet and an MEDIUM pallet. Storage bin type = "SP" special.

So the combinations would be:

2 X HIGH

1 X MEDIUM

or

2 X HIGH

1 X LOW

If I define the bin sectioning for the storage bin type I can assign the maximum nr. of quants.

- "SP" assign to storage unit type HIGH with bin section B (2 quants)

- "SP" assign to storage unit type MEDIUM with bin section C(1 quant)

But with this, the system will not allow the total 3 pallets. If you put a HIGH pallet in it, it's allowing only 2 quants.

How to resolve this or is this even possible?

Regards,

Kasper

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kasper,

With your configuration system is behaving correctly, you specified that 2 quants for high pallet then you will be able to store max 2 high pallet or max 1 medium pallet.

To meet up your requirement in standard, you need to divide bin into 2 different storage bins; 1 to accommodate 2 high level pallet and 2nd bin to accommodate medium or small pallet. Both these bins should have different bin types ( example B1 & B2). The in bin sectioning configuration,

WH no....Storage type.....section 1........specify 2 quants

WH no....Storage type.....section 2........specify 1  quants

Then in next config;

Assign section B1 to section 1 and B2 to section 2.

By doing this you will be able to store high, medium and small pallets. But the only problem which I see, how will you divide bin.

BR

Kamlakar

0 Kudos

Hi Kamlakar,

Thank you for this genius idea. Sometimes it can be so simple. If we split the bin into 2 bins, then we can meet the complete requirement.

- 1 bin with 2 quants and only for high pallets.

- 1 bin with only 1 quant for medium and low pallets.

Thank you!

Kasper

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

with standard SAP configuration it is not possible to get the desired result, you need to write custom code in user exit MWMTO003 if I have to design such scenario then I will make a provision to create custom table with entry like

Storage bin             SUT (High)          SUT(Low)       SUT(Medium)

A01-01-1                  2                          1

A01-01 2                   1                          1                       1

Now during putaway TO creation, based on standard Logic system will find and propose the number of bin where putaway is possible once that data is ready then based on the above table check the
Number of SUT which is already there in the Bin and Number of SUT permitted as per the custom table. suppose A01-01-1 is the bin proposed by system for putaway then first check whether any entry exist for the same bin in custom table or not if not then exit from the processing and follow the standard SAP configuration or other business rule which is defined, if entry exist in table then pick the entry and check how many SU it already there and compare with the custom table data e.g if bin A01-01-1  is having  2 position occupied with SUT(H) then check SUT(L) only one pallet with SUT(L) is allowed in that bin

Cons of this approach

Maintenance of data in custom table (e.g. if number of bins are very high it is very difficult to maintain however you can plan to shift the logic at storage type level)

0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Thank you for the proposal of using the user exit. This could work in our situation, but I also saw the  answer of Kamlakar, I think that option is a genius idea just to split it up into 2 bins. This will perfectly meet the requirements.