cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports renders differently with different display DPI sizes

Former Member
0 Kudos

I already asked my question on stackoverflow but there was no answer. I really hope I get more help here

I designed my report in Visual Studio with display DPI size 100% (Windows 7). In page setup dialog I chose a printer which all of my colleagues and all of our customers have installed with the same driver.

When I change the display size to 125% and open the report in Visual Studio it renders differently. Some text is now too wide for displaying in my text fields and are cut of. Generating the report ends with the same result (export to PDF). So at design time we have no chance to design the reports and ensure that every client generates the same document with the same design as we don't know which DPI settings the customer has chosen in his environment.

I've read much about how important it is to have the same printer with the same drivers installed on all machines that run those reports and chosing that printer in the page setup dialog. But I've read nothing about how the display size is also having an influence of the report rendering.

How can I ensure that my reports render the same on all machines with all display settings possible? Please note, that I have no problem with different printers or drivers but only with different display resolutions.

We use Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate with Crystal Reports for .NET Version 11.

UPDATE:

After re-setting the printer info in all reports and subreports the layout now looks the same with different DPI settings in the report designer. BUT the generated document does not look the same. I did test it on the same machine. Please take a look at the attached picture to see what I mean.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Fonts are the cause.... Because CR uses the font Glyphs which involve usp10 and GDIPlus dll's you can see differences. Not under our control.

Also CR is printer dependent, so depending on the printer you use/used when designing or setting it too can alter/affect what you see.

CR Designer uses Windows GDI to render the reports using native C++ WIN32 API set. .NET uses GDIPlus to render the pages and they don't work the same way.

There are a few things you can do to make them look the same.

In the properties of the objects in CRD you can add a .7 value to the right margin under the Paragraph tab. This allows the CR rendering engine to compensate for variations in fonts and OS's

Also look at this Master KBA 2165260, it has registry keys that can allow you to format the pages and setting offset when exporting.

Don

Answers (0)