cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 6.0 EHP7 upgrade from 4.6c on Linux / DB2 - Temp kernel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need to upgrade an ERP system to the latest available version which is ECC 6.0 EHP7 along with DB2 and OS upgrade. Following are the details of the source and target version.

Current system details

SAP ERP Application version - 4.6c with kernel version 46D_2641 (Non Unicode)

OS -  Red Hat 4.1

DB -  DB2 9.05

Target system details

SAP ERP Application version - ECC 6.0 EHP7 (Unicode)

OS -  RHEL 7

DB -  DB2 10.1

As per the SAP guide - "Upgrade and Update Guide SAP ERP 6.0 Including Enhancement Package 7 ABAP"

it is mentioned as a one step upgrade.

I am planning to perform the upgrade as per below main steps.

1. upgrade the OS & DB to the latest version.

2. run the application on the temp SAP kernel while upgrade of application happen along with unicode conversion.

I am trying to find out SAP note or document which can confirm about the availability of temporary kernel which can allow 4.6c to run on the target version of OS and DB (as it allow for oracle as per note 1487754).

Regards,

PK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to just point out that the latest version is EHP8 for ERP 6.0.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariño

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Miguel,

Yes, I know that. it was released at the beginning of this month.

Regards,

Pramod

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Pramod,

Kindly check the sapnote 939406 - System Copy 4.0B - 4.6C to Linux x86_64

DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX and Windows:

First upgrade your database software to IBM DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX and Windows Version 8.2.2 (Fixpak 9) or above on your 32-Bit server. Install database software IBM DB2 UDB for UNIX and Windows (x86_64) Version 8.2.2 (Fixpak 9) or above on your target System (64 bit Server).

For system copies from Linux_32 to Linux X86_64 both R3Load and backup/restore method are supported .

Then perform the required steps to export or backup your database contents on your source server.

When building up the target system it's neccessary to use the EXT-Kernel (see SAP Note 928727). Building up your system on Linux x86_64 is also described in SAP Note 928727

Also check the 928727 - DB6: SAP System Inst. with EXT Kernel on UNIX

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ashutosh for your reply.

But I am not looking for this info.

the current hardware is already 64 bit and the sap application is 4.6c.

Regards,

Pramod

manish_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

I believe you have already checked that in-place upgrade for RHEL 4.1 to RHEL 7 is not possible. So you have to plan one migration. You can upgrade DB and migrate to RHEL 7 using temp EXT kernel and perform SAP application upgrade and unicode conversion on new hardware.

Thanks,

MPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish for your reply. Yes I already checked that. What i wanted to have a sap note which confirm about the availability of temp kernel in this particular scenario.

I believe it is not available and the best way to get that is to raise a message to SAP and ask them the link of temp kernel to download.

Regards,

Pramod