cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this for real?

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So there is this guy who basically is just posting requirements. When confronted if he tried anything, he admitted he didn't.

I then asked if he knew that SCN is a place for professionals to share ideas, information and solve problems.

He then replied with this gem:

"I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

I thought that scn would help to solve my issues.

if you permit I will delete the discussion. i really dont know  that SCN is  a place for professionals to share information and ideas and to solve problems."

See here

I'm kinda flabbergasted at the moment, how is this possible?

Let's just hope he's screwing with me, because the alternative is simply dreadful.

Cheers, Rob Dielemans

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do not engage with the "spec dumpers", simply report all their posts to the moderators.

Unfortunately, there are many people out there who believe that SCN is dedicated to solving their own personal "issues" (even though the same "issues" have already been solved for others and all they need is search) and other SCN members are their personal concierges. I've learned it's a waste of time trying to convince them otherwise. Moderators can deal with such posts.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The thing with spec dumping is that it does not seem strictly forbidden in. The text may even look as an encouragement for spec dumping/spoon-feeding requests, depends how to wish to interpret it.

So...

option 1: let the thread drown;

option 2: drop a sarcastic remark;

option 3: rage/play SSAM/take a break and come back later;

or any combination of the above.

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will raise this for discussion within out team.

Congratulations on the SCN MoM award:).

Regards,

Moshe

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe the "spec dumping" also falls under "did not search" category. Specifically in ABAP space (where this is a common occurrence) Matthew mentioned it in his blog:  How to get your post rejected in ABAP.

It would not hurt to include more specific verbiage in ROE though.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wish a similar document existed for SD as well...

I have seen on one occasion (I don't remember the exact space) when a poster was confronted about expecting spoon-feeding, he referred to the 'share expertise transparently' point. If only he attempted to apply that critical thinking in solving the issue...

Sometimes it is hard to 'Temper negative emotions, keeping communications professional'.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps could "guest-moderate" SD space for a few days?

There are certainly several specific topics / keywords there that would trigger immediate click on the moderator button. Invoice combination/separation, "why my LIS is not updated", "how do I email output" to name a few.

If SD moderators are disinclined to write about it, perhaps certain knowledgeable, exemplary SCN member could take a lead and post "How to get others to report your post in SD" blog?

Come to think of it, some kind of BIF-like blog movement on this in all spaces would be more than welcome, I believe.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And Credit Management (especially VKM3/OVA8)... my personal favorite

If SD moderators are disinclined to write about it, perhaps certain knowledgeable, exemplary SCN member could take a lead and post "How to get others to report your post in SD" blog?

Heheh, for now it is more like 'How to get your post ignored'.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jelena Perfiljeva

If SD moderators are disinclined to write about it,  perhaps certain knowledgeable, exemplary SCN member could take a lead 

It is a fact that of late, it has become a regular practice that even the members who are well aware of SCN rules have deviated and encouraging / spoon feeding the members just for points sake and wherever, I come across this, I warned not only the OP but also, the members who have deviated the SCN RoE.

While I am not sure, in what context, it has been posted, but just to keep informed of all that in SD space, I daily monitor all threads regularly and wherever possible, I initiate action then and there.  In most of the cases,  I preferred to send DM to OP instead of cautioning in the thread itself since I dont want the member to get hurt due to my action which no one like.    I always ensured that the RoE is adhered to by all the members and discouraged one who ignored that.  I think, the same practice is being followed by the other SD Space Moderator also.  Last but not least, if SCN feels that it is time to have one more space moderator, I am more than happy and welcome.

G. Lakshmipathi

cc : Jyoti Prakash

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It seems like we have to teach professionals, how to be professional! Cool Idea. Then in that case every space should have its own RoE and instruction guide for Do's and Don't's.

With my 3rd Year as Moderator and Lakshmipathi Sir's 10th year. I understand every Moderator in SCN has its own way of Moderation. So is Lakshmipathi Sir's and mine. If he takes action on discussions through comments or DM to OP. I generally work through "Alert Moderator" option moderation in both SD and MM spaces.

You will agree, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Now, the question is how many men are you going to teach or train? In my opinion, one should treat SCN as a training institute / help center or alternative to those.

Cheers, JP

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

I totally agree, we shouldn't teach professionals how to be professionals, that's insane.

Just set a minimum requirement needed for engagement and if you don't fulfil that requirement then go somewhere else and either stay away or come back when you've gained some skills and experience and meet the requirements.

Cheers, Rob

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please read above statement as "In my opinion, one should not  treat SCN as a training institute / help center or alternative to those."

You can also have look on my blog Where I have emphasized the same.

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob

I agree with your point of view.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
While I am not sure, in what context, it has been posted, but just to keep informed of all that in SD space, I daily monitor all threads regularly and wherever possible, I initiate action then and there. 
There was no doubt in anyone's moderation skills. I was simply referring to Matthew Billingham's blog How to get your post rejected in ABAP Development that has been very helpful in understanding the moderation guidelines in that space.
It's not possible to cover every single detail in the site-wide ROE. There are some items that are relevant only to ABAP space and other spaces (like SD) likely have similar nuances and their own list of specific "repeat offenders" (I mentioned just a few examples in SD above). I believe it would be beneficial to have posts similar to Matthew's in other spaces, for clarification purposes.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Jelena Perfiljeva wrote:

I believe it would be beneficial to have posts similar to Matthew's in other spaces, for clarification purposes.

The GRC space has an excellent guidelines document, written by one of our Moderators , which has been hugely helpful.

I would encourage others to do the same. Having such a tool facilitates moderation considerably.

Gretchen

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

wrote:

It is a fact that of late, it has become a regular practice that even the members who are well aware of SCN rules have deviated and encouraging / spoon feeding the members just for points sake and wherever, I come across this, I warned not only the OP but also, the members who have deviated the SCN RoE.

It's not spoon feeding or point-hunting, just sometime you get tired of alerting moderators over and over and over (and i guess moderators go mad as well! ) so a spicy answer runs out your finger, pointing out obvious things in obvious way, hoping the OP next time will try to walk with his own legs (i.e.)

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I get annoyed by people answering FAQs, answering with single links.

I am very happy with people who report basic questions, FAQs, questions with insufficient information for a meaningful answer, "do my work" questions, etc. etc. By doing so, they help me in my role as moderator, and benefit the site as a whole.

Please do not get tired of alerting moderators. I never get tired of being alerted; in fact I appreciate it as a sign of people being engaged with the community.

(This week, however, I am taking a break from moderating as I am on my ski vacation)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I believe it would be beneficial to have posts similar to Matthew's in other spaces, for clarification purposes.

The space concept will be replaced by tags only in a few months, so it might not be worth the effort anymore.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Within GRC,  I will expect our guidelines to apply to discussions tagged with GRC and other generally used tags. That may not work for everyone, but I hope it works for us. I don't know how else we will keep the signal to noise ratio in an acceptable range.

Gretchen

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd already rejected his posts on the grounds "This site does not exist to do your homework". With this last one it became evident that he was trying to learn ABAP by posting various exercises and hoping to understand the solutions.

With the latest rejection I suggested he get hold of an ABAP book and work his way through that. Or go on a course.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was amazed that he didn't know what this space is and for whom it is intended.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to derive from the name SAP Community network that this space is probably intended for the SAP community. It's nice that you endeavor to become part of the community but that takes some effort.

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for reporting this. I see that it was already removed and handled.

Regards,

Moshe

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there's quite a lot of those in the BW spaces recently...

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I moderate Data Warehousing. If you see any there, please report it.

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

how about every post from someone with "London" as a last name...

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please use the notify moderator button.

William_Laverde
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

What space was this in? It appears a moderator might have removed the post already. Just want to make sure.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It was ABAP. I removed it.