cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio 2013 crashes when attempting to save an .rpt file modified in CR '13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are experiencing an issue that occurs intermittently. I open, modify, and save existing .rpt files in Crystal Reports 2013.  Visual Studio 2013 crashes after opening the same file, making changes, and attempting to save:

It issue occurs on these machines:

1) Windows 7 Pro with SP1, Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio version 13.10.1385.

2) Windows 8.1 Pro, Visual Studio 2013 Pro, SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio version 13.0.15.1840, Crystal Reports 2013.

Did some research and tried the solution to remove XML files from c:\temp, but it did not fix the problem.  Anyone else experience the same problem and can shed light on how to fix?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Demond

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marco_laporta
Participant
0 Kudos

I have exactly the same problem, In both Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015.

Any News?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Marco.

I am still searching for a solution.

-- Demond

marco_laporta
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Demond, thank you for the response.

It's a pain. I press "save button" with the terror inside! .

The only walk-around is saving and backup the report each two or three changes. When things goes wrong I go back to the last working rpt.

I hope the issue will be resolved in the next servicepack because is really annoyng.

Marco

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See if enabling the "No Printer" option helps. If not, try a different printer driver as you r default and / or make sure the printer driver has the most recent updates applied.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ludek.

Tried to enable the "No Printer" option from Menu -> File -> Page Setup.  However, no luck fixing the save problem. 

I may have discovered a work-around to the crash while saving dilemma:

1) Open the report in Visual Studio 2013

2) Make edits, click the save icon/Ctrl+s.

3) When it does not save after the 1st click, select Menu -> Crystal Reports -> Preview Report, then save.

Thanks again,

Demond

marco_laporta
Participant
0 Kudos

Demond thanks a lot!!!!

Your work-around worked also for me.

Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're welcome, Marco.  Glad its working for you as well.

Cheers!

Demond

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

It appears installing SP 16 did not fix the issue.  Wonder what would cause VS to crash when saving the file.  Is there something else I can try?

Thank you,

Demond

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Demond

What changes do you specifically need to make?

What is the app doing at the point of the crash? Viewing, exporting, printing, loading the report?

What is the database? See if enabling the option "Verify on 1st refresh" helps.

SP 16 just released, give that a try:

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Ludek.

Here's an example of changes we make to the file: open in VS, change text or layout of text objects, then click the save icon.  VS does not appear to save the file initially after clicking the icon.  We would go to click the icon a second time, then that's when the crash occurs.  The database is an ADO.NET connection to a local XSD file.  We do have "Verify On First Refresh" selected in the database options, also.

I'll try SP 16 to see if it will remedy this issue, and reply with the results.

Thanks, Ludek!

-- Demond