Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work center effect on Work Duration in Activity

faisal_khan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am involved in PM but got to investigate the effect of Calculation key in Work center on Project activities.

I have a workcenter with following details:

1. A work center (e.g Proj) Work center category 006.

2. Capacities tab with category (eg. Labour)
     Other formula  :SAP008
     Inside the capacity: calender ID, base unit of measure as HR.  I also mentioned the start and finish time for the work center (e.g 0730 hrs to 1700 hrs),
     gave break duration (e.g 1 hr, 30 min ) capacity utilization 80%, 04 number of the capacities in that work center..

3. In scheduling tab: other formula (SAP004)

Now i created a project with activity. I gave the Work center as "Proj" (defined above) with other details like WBS element etc

I selected the calculation key as "01 Calculate Duration", gave the Work as 10 Hrs. Upon pressing enter, the capacity fills up with 1 and Percent with 100 and it shows the Duration as 10hrs.

My query: Whats the effect of Work Center where i set the no. of capacity as 4 and Cap Utilization as 80%. There seems to be no link between the work center provided and the calculation.

Please assist!

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Faisal,

This has a link with the time / number of capacity you have mentioned in the work centre.

Like if you have mentioned the working hours as 8Hrs and no of capacities as 5, which is 40 hrs per day, which will be your total capacity hours.

The capacity is a manual entry (No of labor), if you dont set it, will set has 1, else you can change to 2 or 3 or 4, automatically your normal duration will be re-calculated.

In PM, if the capacity exceeds, you get a warning message, but in PS your normal duration will be increased based on the hours you post. So there is no way to confirm the capacity is exceeded, unless you have any custom logic in place.

Regards

Terence

faisal_khan
Participant
0 Kudos

I understand your logic but still have doubts.

1. Does the field Number and Percentage in CJ20N, linked with PM Work Center

2. Requirement is that user using the Calculation Key 01 Calculate Duration, just enter the Work and the system should automatically picks the Number and Percentage from the Work Center directly, then the Duration should appear rather doing manual entries.

Thanks

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Faisal,

1. It cannot be linked with PM work centre, PS work centre category is different. It should be 0006.

2. Number should be manually inputted, how will the system know whether you require 1 person or 2 person for completing the work ? You need to decide on the Number, then if you want to take only 80%, then the normal duration will be calculated based on that.

Regards

Terence

faisal_khan
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Terence,

It seems that manual entry is the only option.