cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External number ranges

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

I am new to DMS and need some assistance. In the 'Number assignment field for 'Define document types'external number ranges there are a few options such as:

2     Only external number assignment

4     Only external number assignment with exit

5     External number assignment without number range check only

On the face all seem to be different, but I am unable to figure out the difference, e.g., there sems to be no difference between 2 and 4 as both require user exit and behave exactly same when creating documents?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As I have not received any further responses, I am closing this blog.

Thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you use exit system will ask you to give external number but if your given number and exit number does not match then system will determine as per your logic in the exit,I hope you are facing issue only due to this.

Try giving the number in between your exit number range.

Since we have build a logic to prefix some char based on document type and the other number will be in series, Hope this info may help you. Please revert with the results.

Rgds,

Nayeem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayeem,

I tried this as per your advise and it works.

Thank you

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gurupreet,

That is a very good question. I have already gone through this thread. In fact I am a SAP customer using DMS in some applications. So far I never have gone beyond the '1' (Only internal number assignment) option of Number Assgmt in DC10.  Your answer should be answered only by those who worked with these options. Also I could not find anything on this subject in Google search. Let's hope expertise will come to us from DMS consultants.

Good luck

KJogeswaraRao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jogeswara,

I have looked a bit further and tried to test the behaviour of the above options and can deduct the following:

5 External number assignment without number range check only

This is different from '2' and '4' as it does not require User Exit and therefore, is not / cannot be controlled by customising exit. It behaves like a free format, i.e., you can enter numeric only, alphanumeric, or alpha only characters to create documents when using doc type with this number assignment.

2 Only external number assignment

On the face of it, it seems that this would not require a User exit but I have tried to create doc. type by using this number assignment without user exit and it does not work. System shouts:

Enter program exit for document number (Numexit)

Once I enter user exit, it behaves exactly like 4 Only external number assignment with exit?

Hope some experts can throw some light.

Thanks

Gurpreet

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You asked and I'm learning. Thank you, Gurupreet, Let's hope for more light otherwise you've cracked to a large extent.