cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create serial numbers without taking order qty into considertion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Serial no profile is activated to generate serial numbers automatically during order release. Here system creates serial no's equal to the order qty. Is there a way to create serial no's irrespective of order quantity. for example order qty is 100, system generates 100 serial numbers but I might need 101 serial numbers,I do not want to increase the order quantity. Please suggest.

Thank You

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JarleiN
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

the only way is create manually the seriam Number (IQ01), and after that, when you decide, is possible associate this manual serial numbero with the product (IQ02).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your reply. My business scenario is as follows, on production order release , serial no's get generated equals to order qty. They print the serial number labels and print order and start the operation. In the middle of the process they will stick the labels and during last operation confirmation of they scan each serial number label and confirm. Here they will discover some parts without labels. To reprint they have no information on what serial no it was tied to and its not easy to track as the order qty will be 400 and higher.Now they are increasing the order qty and generate new serial no's and printing the label for new serial number and TECO the order with PDLV status. But FI has concern on closing the order short. Could you suggest any work around.

JarleiN
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Consider execute this processo on the last operation:

1. Order Confirmation

2. Print the label

Increase the order production is a big problem, no just regarding the labels, but will affect costs, inventory, MRP.

This was the  process that I set one company were I worked.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, But during confirmation they need the serial number. Can you provide me more details?

ameya_beri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sapna,

The serial number will be created during order release as per standard SAP functionality.

During confirmation you can make an enhancement in the system to print the serial number label.

We also had a similar issue and we solved it by creating a custom transaction, in which you enter the production order number and the transaction shows you all the serial numbers against it. Then user has the option to select any 1 serial number or many and print the serial number label.

It is not a good idea to increase production order quantity just to print a serial number label.

Best Regards,

Ameya B.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you all for your inputs