cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAPI and RFC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

What are the diffrences between BAPI and RFC?

Thanks,

Purna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Purna,

Technically, not much at all. They are both remote enabled functions that can be accessed from outside of SAP (to be more technically correct, from outside of the ABAP stack).

From a usage/functional perspective however, BAPIs are a little bit more special from RFCs.

Bapis:

- are designed as the methods of business objects in the business object repository (accessable using transaction BAPI or SWO1)

- have non-technical parameter names (the technical field names in SAP are mapped)

- have a fixed interface and functionality across all SAP releases (this is probably the key point as it means you can develop integrations with them which do not need to be changed when you upgrade)

Generally, if you are trying to find a function for a particular requirement you should look for a BAPI first, then for a RFC function which has a released status (check the function attributes in SE37), and then just a normal RFC last.

The benefit of an RFC function with released status means that it also has a fixed interface which will not change with new SAP releases.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Brad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Brad!!!

Purna

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP for thought!

All BAPI's are RFC enabled, but all RFC's are not BAPI's.

Rishi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If all Function Modules starting with BAPI* are BAPIs, then there are a few BAPIs which are <b>NOT</b> RFC-Enabled !!!

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anannd! Just checking to see that you guys are not dozing off!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shouldn't you say thanks "I029616"?

Whats happened to your name Anand?

Brad

Former Member
0 Kudos

To cut a long story short (wasn't that a Jeffrey Archer Novel ?), I was trying to change my display name and messed it up. Am trying to change it...

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.