cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heuristic Run Time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus:

I've recently changed our SNP to run for all materials (not just finished goods).  I have some subassemblies that go into about 400 different finished goods.  In Customizing, I had "Heuristic:  Nbr of Planning Iterations per Component" set at 10 and I found that it wasn't planning at the subassembly for all the finished goods' demand.  I think I have to change this value to 400 for it to complete planning on all subs/finished goods.  However, when I do this and run the Heuristic for my entire Model, it runs over 16 hours and never completes. 

Does anyone know if this is a setup issue or a resource issue on the system?  Is there something I can do to make the Heuristic run faster?  I calculate pegging and Low Level Codes in a separate step prior to the Heuristic run and my settings on the Heuristic are as follows:

Location Heuristic

Take into account found components in planning run

Add products from super session chain

Source Determination = All Levels

Do Not use Temporary Low Level Codes

I do not have checked "Net Change Planning" because we are only running the Heuristic once a month to do Capacity Analysis.

We have about 30,000 materials that the heuristic is running on and planning.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Andrea

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andrea,

Low level code is the key here.
You must have a successful run of /sapapo/snpllc before you start the heuristic.
If LLC run fails, no low leve code will be saved, and it cannot ensure correct planning sequence.
To have a successful LLC run, you must not have any cycle in your model.

BR, Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

I run Low Level codes prior to the heuristic and it finishes successfully.  Any other ideas?  Do you think it could be a resource issue with running this amount of data?  I'm sure many other companies run just as much.

Andrea

ruchi_das2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andrea,

In the past, I changed Heuristic:  Nbr of Planning Iterations per Component from 10 to 10,000 after several testing runs based on the volume being handled in the batch job selection for location-products. It worked. My way of testing was to change this value in Customizing and then run the heuristics manually when all selections are loaded. You should not get any pop up at this point pointing at the Heuristic: Nbr of components...

I think you are using Multilevel Heuristics, it's advisable to split this into location + Network heuristics to overcome such performance issues.

Regards

AK