Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Appliance and SSD

tsenol
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We'll start a HANA project soon. Now We are communicating with vendors about SAP HANA Appliance.

We realised that SSD is not mandatory in HANA Appliance, because some of vendors give offer with only SAS disks, some gives with SSD disks.

I've searched for articles and SAP notes about SSD usage and found nothing?

Yes I know It's good to you SSD for log segment but I want to learn it's importance? Or is there any note/guide about using SSD?

thanks a lot,

regards

Tutku

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tutku,

As you may know that you can see the list of SAP HANA Hardware from link Certified SAP HANA® Hardware Directory

In View Listings you can see the details of all vendors' hardware specifications. As you said some of them use SSD and the others not.

You can cross check the offers with these specifications in my opinion.

There are some words about SSD on also.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

tsenol
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Yuksel,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I've checked that links before and as you know most vendors have HANA appliance with both SSD or SAS disks. And there is no SAP note or article regarding restriction in SAP side about disk speeds.

Thanks a lot,

Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

While HDDs take longer to access data because of their need for the disks to spin, SSDs can be up to 100 times faster as data can be accessed instantaneously resulting in total system acceleration.

The log segments in HANA have a heavy transaction volume. SSD will definitely provide you more I/O than HDD. Which will ultimately make log writing faster and hence the overall system response,

SAP does encourage to use the SSDs for the log segment while you can still have your data segment on HDDs. This combination reduce the overall cost of your storage providing a high performance. You might find below document helpful for your Storage requirements.

https://hcp.sap.com/content/dam/website/saphana/en_us/Technology%20Documents/Storage%20Whitepaper%20...

Regards,

Saurabh