cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying data from same table differently?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I'm going to try to have my question make sense, but I apologize if it doesn't. I am new to Crystal Reports still, so maybe I am doing something wrong.

In my database, I have several tables: Account, Opportunity, Activity, Userinfo.

The Userinfo (which are the employees table) links to all of these tables differently. So for example, an Account will have a Sales Rep with his info pulled from the Userinfo, but the person who created the account (in the database) will also have their info pulled from the userinfo.

So when I have my Crystal Report, and I want to show the Account Name, and who the Sales Guy is, but also the person who Created the account, how does that work?

What I did was link the SALESGUYID to the USERID in Userinfo, but also the CREATEUSER to USERID in Userinfo. Is this wrong?

It seems when I try to then display the information in the report, it doesn't work. I was able to work about this by adding Userinfo twice, and then linking them separately, but then I also have MODIFYUSER, and not to mention the Opportunity and Activity then also have their own set of users.

I hope this makes sense as to what I am trying to do.

Edit

I attached a picture of a part of my list. As you can see, I added only the Account table and the User table. How do I get it to display the correct names depending on the ID of the Account Manager, or the Create user?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paula,

You're on the right path - multiple instances of the UserInfo table would need to be added and Joined separately.

This would look as if each 'type' of user has a separate table.

-Abhilash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to have multiple copies of the User Info table included in the report - one for each field where you want to get the user name, so you're doing it the right way!

As you've discovered, when you try to add a table to a report that is already in the report, Crystal will throw a warning and ask if you want to "alias" the table.  It will then add the table with "_1", "_2", etc on the end of the table name.  What I usually do is then select each aliased table in the list of tables for the report an rename it to reference what type of data it's pulling.  So for your case, you would have something like this:

UserInfo-Sales

UserInfo-Create

UserInfo-Modify

etc.

You then join each of these to the other tables based on which type of user name you want.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ohhhhh man. I can see why people get paid to do this for companies. This is a lot of thinking!! Hahaha. Your naming tip is really helpful, I will do that.