Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would FX restatements slow down FullCalc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me.

When users run a FullCalc before restatements it only takes 1-2mins, however after FX restatements have been loaded into the systems the fullcalc takes 50mins to complete.

Has anyone come across this before? if so what did you do to resolve this?

Regards

Avni

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

See script attached

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Huge script And you have to understand each line of it!

There are a lot of small issues inside it but I can show some lines that will be affected by previous run of FX restatements:

*COMMIT

//******************************************** No scope for CURRENCY SET! like *XDIM_MEMBERSET CURRENCY  = LC

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// SECTION 02  -  Calculate the Account member: B96000, and AccDetail member: F_PL.

//

//                This is the net income of the period in the balance sheet and

//                the minority interest F_PL .

//

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCDETAIL = F_CLO_INP,F_PL

*XDIM_MEMBERSET BRAND     = <ALL>

*XDIM_MEMBERSET SEGMENT   = <ALL>

*WHEN DATASRC.DATASRC_TYPE

Same issue:

*COMMIT

//******************************************** No scope for CURRENCY SET! like *XDIM_MEMBERSET CURRENCY  = LC

// SECTION 04b  -  This section posts new-business and net-revenue to the validation

//                 Account member: VAL9115. This is a validation for the Actuals load

//                 form. The results are posted against all brands, and all segments.

//

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCOUNT = BAS(M_NEW_BUS),BAS(NET_REVENUE)

*XDIM_MEMBERSET BRAND   = BAS(BR_ALL)

*XDIM_MEMBERSET DATASRC = BAS(TOTDATA),APAC_INPUT,APAC_ALLOC

*XDIM_MEMBERSET SEGMENT = BAS(SERVTOT)

*WHEN ENTITY.MED_SYN

Same issue:

*COMMIT

// SECTION 06a-v  -  Populate the validation account: VAL9150, VAL9160, VAL9119

//                   VAL9219, VAL9405, VAL9410, VAL9411, VAL9415, VAL9416,

//                   VAL9420, VAL9425, VAL9430, VAL9435, VAL9436, VAL9440,

//                   VAL9445, VAL9450, VAL9555, VAL9460, VAL9465, VAL9470

//

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCDETAIL = BAS(F_CLO_CALC),F_CLO_INP,F_ERROR,F_AGE_ERROR

*WHEN ACCOUNT.ACCTY

Same issue:

*COMMIT

//// SECTION 06b  -  A validation check to see if F_TAX_CHG and F_PY_CHGREL for B30050 and

////                 B80800 matches F_CLO_INP for P85000,P85050 & P85060 -F_TAX_CHG and F_PY_CHGREL

////                 for B76000 and B42011 matches F_CLO_INP for P80000,P80010,P80020 & P80030. -(CC02028/29)EO

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCOUNT = B30050,B80800,B76000,B42011,P85000,P85050,P85060,P80020,P80000,P80010,P80030

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCDETAIL = F_CLO_INP,F_TAX_CHG,F_PY_CHGREL

*WHEN ACCOUNT

Same issue:

*COMMIT

// SECTION 06f  -  Populate the validation account: VAL9115 .

//                 Added by BPC Admin 27/09/2012 CC00484 Media Net Revenue = New Business

//                 Updated by BPC Admin March 2013 to include New Business and Net Revenue in the same XDIM_MEMBERSET

//

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCOUNT = BAS(M_NEW_BUS),BAS(NET_REVENUE)

*WHEN ENTITY.MED_SYN

Same issue:

*COMMIT

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// SECTION 07  -  Cashflow operating profit movement.

//

*XDIM_MEMBERSET ACCDETAIL = F_CLO_INP

*XDIM_MEMBERSET BRAND     = <ALL>

*XDIM_MEMBERSET DATASRC   = <ALL>

*XDIM_MEMBERSET SEGMENT   = <ALL>

// Excludes the F_PL flow and B96000 account from the source data region

*WHEN DATASRC.DATASRC_TYPE

Also there are number of included lgf files not shown here - can also have some issues!

*INCLUDE CASHFLOW.LGF

*INCLUDE FXTRANS.LGF - currency conversion is also launched inside FullCalc!!!!

*INCLUDE MDXREPLACEMENT.LGF

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vadim, I will take a look at this now

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In general, the whole script has to be polished

For example, there are a lot of useless *COMMIT statements - doing nothing, but resetting the script scope to the initial scope. And initial scope is CURRENCY=<ALL>...

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avni,

What do you mean by "FullCalc"?

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a process which is run by our finance team. They run a fullcalc via the EPM client. I will check what exactly is done and come back to you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a data manager package we call it fullcalc in house.

To get to this we go to Data Manager>run package>company folder>Full Calc

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, do you think it's possible to answer your question without detailed description of in house "Full Calc"???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

I tried to copy the log from the status view but unable to paste it in here.

I find it strange that the system slows down when we upload FX statements which puts the currency into BPC, this is noticed when we run data manager packages namely fullcalc.

I'm not sure how I can explain this to you as I do not have a full understanding of what the package does, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Regards

Avni

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, log is not required to start the investigation!

You have to show DM package advanced script and if some lgf script is launched - the contents of this lgf file.

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos
former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have already told you:

Sorry, log is not required to start the investigation!

You have to show DM package advanced script and if some lgf script is launched - the contents of this lgf file.

Vadim

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avni,

Full Calc and FX statement upload are processes developed in your company. Only people inside your company would have any knowledge what they do and why they'd run faster or slower without seeing what they actually do.

Now, if you have access to those logs, can you compare log of Full Calc before FX upload and after and find out which step looks different. If you show us that step we may be able to help you in finding out what causes that slow down.

Regards,

Gersh

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suspect that FullCalc is launching some complex script... This script has to be analyzed!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the best course would be to run the fullcalc at the end of the month just before we run the FX statements. Once the FX statements have been loaded rerun the fullcalc and measure the time difference.

This way I can be sure the same fullcalc is run.

I can then provide the logs so you can see what script is running. At the moment I am looking at each one and they all look different.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please show the script itself, not the log!

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avni,

The only useful info from this screen shot is that it runs a script logic. You should be able to see more info if you click "Formula log".

Regards,

Gersh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Above is the script for fullcalc

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Avni,

The above is the log, and NOT the script! Do you understand the difference?

Vadim

P.S. And the log presented in unreadable form

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

This is what was under formula log that Gersh suggested. I'm not sure how I can get the script can you advise please.

Regards

Avni

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avni,

You have to read some basic info about DM packages and script logic! At least

Script logic help: Script Logic - SAP Business Planning and Consolidation, version for SAP NetWeaver - SAP Library

The script you have to show is FULLCALC.LGF

You can find it in the Administration -> Rules -> Logic Scripts -> Scripts for FINANCE

Without understanding of basic things it's not possible to help you!

Vadim

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avni,

What I suggested is that you take the log when Package ran fast and when same Package ran slow, compare them (they should be very similar except duration) and tell us where you found the biggest difference.

Then based on the scrip you posted we should be able to find out what caused it.

Another problem is that I can't find where you posted that log. Can you please specify date and time?

Thank you,

Gersh