cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organization Unit Manager Position and manager are being listed twice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

At the org unit level, we have include the org unit description, manager position title and manager.  The next level down, we want to report the position and employee of all positions/employees who belong to the org unit.  While in the strictest sense we have completed this successfully, we are getting the manager listed twice (one in the org unit) and once in the lower level (aka team).  How can I suppress the manager position being listed in the team level?  Is there a way to have all team members listed in a single box or are we restricted to one box per relationship in org mgmt.?

Blue is the Org Unit and Yellow is our lower (aka team level).  The Compensation orgunit  is listing EFT test #1 Smithy as the manager, but is also listed in the team view. How can I suppress the team view occurrence?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as I find the Nakisa Admin site not the most intuitive.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy.

I assume you are using SOVN OrgChart, but it is unclear what version, architecture, etc. you are using - please see for more details.

You can apply filters (just search for "filters" in the admin guide for your version of the VSN app) via AdminConsole to exclude data either to the extract (staged) or the RFC (live/hybrid) ... but I'd query if this is in fact what you really want to do?  I don't doubt at all that you have such a requirement, I'm really just playing a bit of devil's advocate for taking a more standard approach is all.

The blue boxes are the org units - not the managers of org units.  The yellow boxes are positions within org units.  Logically the org unit manager is a position and so "should" appear as a yellow box beneath a blue box.

When selecting a yellow box you are provided with a set of details about the position and any incumbent employee.  When selecting a blue box you are provided with a set of details about the org unit which includes a small set of information about the manager position and incumbent employee.  If the manager is not to be included as a position how would you view the position and incumbent employee information for the manager?  Would you propose to have the user search each time, modify the org unit details panel to include the position details, trust the user to hyperlink to the position details panel from the org unit details panel, or something else?

I would imagine that I'd personally push back against this in case it causes confusion for users, retaining standard functionality and not intentionally hiding/reducing visibility of pertinent data.  Especially if users are referring to the inbuilt help. Though if it is a small managed user base (e.g. a handful of HR teams) then I could see that being easily mitigated.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stephen for responding so promptly.

We are using SOVN OrgChart, Version is 4.0 SP1 (although we are in the progress of upgrading), I think this is the other information you were requesting.

os.nameWindows Server 2008 R2The OS name
os.archamd64The OS architecture
os.version6.1The OS version
java.version1.6.0_51The Java Runtime Environment version
java.vm.version6.1.054 23.5-b11The JVM implementation version
java.specification.version1.6The specification version of the Java Runtime

You are correct, the blue box is the org unit level - but the information in the box is the org unit description, manager's name and manager's position.  When I click on the blue box, I do receive some manager details.

As you can see the position description, number and employee name and number are provided. So I can obtain the information if required.

When I select the corresponding yellow box, I receive manager details as well, but with more information (as you stated).

My client is looking for a very basic org chart structure that can be published for the whole company to see - so we don't really want  pernr  available to all employees; that would be for a select number of HR administrators.  The basic org chart would be published in PDF or similar format.

However, is sounds as though suppressing the manager position (yellow box) is not standard or recommended.

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It isn't standard ... but please don't necessarily take my response above as any sort of formal non-recommendation.  Remember I'm playing devil's advocate a bit to ensure you really do want to do that.

If you haven't already I'd suggest having a look at switching views (org unit and or position) to restrict the information shown and at ChartBook functionality for producing your shareable PDF.

If you want to restrict access to fields in the application's details panel you could either disable individual fields entirely or move it into a section that is available only to a sub-set of users (e.g. most users do not have access to the extended employee profile section on the position/employee details panels - see security section in admin guide and feature checklist spreadsheet for details on this).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Stephen.

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy.

Have you managed to reconcile the functionality with your client's requirements?  What's the result?

Regards,

Stephen.

Answers (0)