cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My hero, Jürgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

A big shout-out for my hero Jürgen, who has provided so much help to the SCN user community (and me too!) that his point total recently exceeded 100K.

Oh, yeah, in his 'spare time', he also acts as an SCN moderator.

Thanks for all the help, Jürgen!  You have bailed me out of some tough problems more times than I can count.

Best Regards,

DB49

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you all very much

Nice statistic Robert Russell , I missed this wiki but I knew this case study.

Although I am registered since 2005 I started answering in 2007, at that time I was already a long time top contributor in other SAP related forums (even Usenet - does anybody remember what that is - using different names on each site )

Former Member has some screenshots from the leaderboard 2008/2009 and 2009/2010 in his document:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/805392a7-ccd9-2d10-0eaf-a15605e46...

I was 9th with 12133 points in 2008/2009, Gordon even made 20084 in that period. Such high yearly scores are no more possible, probably because of gamification which encouraged many others to step in. So I conclude that gamification did not help me to score. Becoming a moderator had probably some more impact, it puts extra weight to the answers. But not to forget that the experience also grows with each day.

No gamification is not my real motivator, I am fighting against distribution of superficial knowledge (makes me think about Don Quixote more often)

I found a screenshot used in a bug report from March 2013 where it showed 10813 points in the last 12 month and a total of 63629. So your assumption of 50000 points per beginning of 2012 seems to be pretty realistic. It also divides the the contribution time into 5 years before 5 years after.

But even more astonishing is that someone else is missing in all these statistics of points who will probably be the second leaving the 5 digits behind, which means she scores with a much hig...

Just found a picture with a gift from early SDN gamification times:

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen

I missed your achievement. Congrats Big Boss and yeah one thing. Loved your mustache in this above photo

Thank$

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

So I conclude that gamification did not help me to score. Becoming a moderator had probably some more impact, it puts extra weight to the answers. But not to forget that the experience also grows with each day.

Being a moderator may have made you more noticeable but your effort and the amount of time and hard work you put into the page is reason.

There would have been a time when likes on comments meant who were active before those points were turned off would have increased their points more. But when you hit the 100k I doubt that would have much bearing

Congrats by the way !

Answers (12)

Answers (12)

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Folks,

Thanks DB49 for bringing this to other forum members attention.

, Big salute to your contribution.

I would like to take few other forum member names also who are regular contributors and inspiration to other members.

1. Lakshmipathi G- I always consider his reply's as head master advise. Coz very strict and direct to the point.

2. DB49- very respectable member. I learnt lot of things from his post.

3.MoazzaM- Last but not least, my hero in forum. His post are very informative and researchful theory.

This is the only guy, alwaz I want to be in touch out of SCN. I tried finding him in all social sites and ultimately I found him after long time.

Other members too but sorry not able collect their names here.

Thanks

Hidayath

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm having a Kanye West/Taylor Swift backlash here... ^^

Hello Hidayath,

that's the wrong Jürgen you got there. You probably meant .

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Steffi,

I tried edit it but could not do as I'm using SCN on mobile jive.

Yes it is. @ Jürgen L

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If someone replies, you can't edit your comment anymore. That's why I can't correct my "backlash" to "flashback", which is what I actually meant.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Even you didn't tag me but somehow I saw this post. I logged in today after many weeks I think and marked 2000 emails as read. Can't manage time for SCN these days but I'll try to login daily after this project.

I am overwhelmed with this remark of yours. Stay blessed brother.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hidayathualla,

Totally agree with you...the members you mentioned are knowledgeable and helpful. I would add another name who has joined recently and her contributions are helpful in the SD forums

TW

shashank_a_naik
Participant
0 Kudos

He is the Batman SCN deserves. Congratulations,

former_member46
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

So very deserved!!!

Congrats Juergen on being the first to 'cross the line' and may it be a small symbol of thanks from the very many community members you help daily!!

BTW awesome photo! I was partial to the red myself, other colors less so

Mohamed_Mukhtar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Congratulation Jürgen,

rejigeorge
Explorer
0 Kudos

Congratulations.....

Robert_Russell
Contributor
0 Kudos

Congratulations to Jürgen on reaching such a significant points total.

I have had a passing interest in SDN/SCN points over the years and do know that Jürgen has been active for a long time on SCN. Although not always at the very top of any points leaderboard.

I did spot Jürgen’s name and admit mainly due to an umlaut issue that caused issues with the ABAP code I used to collect the points from old SDN.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/Community/SCN+Points+2004-2010

Jürgen appeared as top contributor in 2010 for Germany.

Back in 2012 the platform changed and coincidentally at a similar time Gordon Du took over as top points scorer with over 61000 points. Screen shot below of the points RSS leaderboard back then.

I don’t have the data anymore but lets say from looking at the scores Jürgen had 50000 points in 2012. Now maths is not my strong point but 50,000/ roughly 4 years / 365 = over 34 points every day (guesstimate and calculator assisted calculation )

Did SCN gamification help Jürgen’s point scoring. I had a search and came accross this review on Bunchball’s site for the gamification of SCN (as bunchball do the gamification for SCN).

https://www.bunchball.com/sites/default/files/case_study-gamification_sap_community_network-july2013...

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jürgen L,

Congratulatins Jürgen L.

I wonder if SAP may want to encash this points @ 1$ per point.

will you go for it? Thoughts?

Thanks

Ritesh

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ROFL , I am sure they do not want to create an uneconomic precedent.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Different question: if they'd donate a dollar per point to a good cause, how many would you give?

I'd go all-in, even if you call you're still the big stack

Thomas

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All in

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

Different question: if they'd donate a dollar per point to a good cause, how many would you give?

This is the first useful idea I have ever heard for managing SCN 'points'.  Bravo Thomas!

It wouldn't have to be a dollar a point, either.  SAP could get some good press, the users could still be recognized for their contributions, and the world could actually be a better place because of it.  Win/win/win as far as I can tell.

I would donate my points in a heartbeat.  Call me 'All in' as well.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am most definitely in as well!

Actually, there is a JIVE plug-in (the SCN forum software) for buying points via Paypal integration. The "points for a dollar" does not have to directly only cost SAP something it were implemented as an "exchange platform" -> idiots can buy points off other members at "the market rate" and the proceeds to the transfer to the buyer goes to charity. For every dollar exchanged on the "points börse" SAP also adds an additional dollar to a good cause, eg. Doctors without Borders etc.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julius,

???  Maybe I am a bit dense, but the 'Jive plug-in' of which you speak seems to have little in common with Thomas' suggestion.

Speaking only for myself, I have a hard time conceiving of a situation where I would be inclined to buy or sell SCN points.

I can never really know what a Moderator's life is like.  If you believe though, as I do, that there are already too many inane squabbles about points on SCN, try to envision how it would change if points were monetized or tradeable.

Best Regards,

DB49

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dogboy 49 wrote:

Julius,

???  Maybe I am a bit dense, but the 'Jive plug-in' of which you speak seems to have little in common with Thomas' suggestion.

I think Julius "love-to-hate" relationship with the points system had taken over there for a second. ^^

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't see why the idea of a trading platform should be dismissed nor why it is too distant from a direct donation of points.

But I am also cool with donations and yes, lets stick to something exact and agreed to by everyone, then there is less escape route for SAP in the discussion...  🙂

As long as I can get rid of the blasted things and the more noise there is with points the more it costs SAP, then I am happy as a lark.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

ps: and incase you think I'm crazy... right click in the browser and choose view source. Then search the loaded page for "buy" and "pay"... it is all there, just needs to be turned on!

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am too blond probably, but why would anybody buy points?

I understood that you don't get free T-shirts or other stuff ...

To fake competency or what?

I don't really like the yellow color that comes with gold, but I guess I can change that with Greasemonkey or ask nicely a mod to decrease my points if it becomes such a big annoyance... 

Edit: if the increase in points allows reaching levels with more privileges, then I guess, some might wish to buy points.

Does that mean that all it takes for a spam bot to post in SCN would be a small donation?

Message was edited by: Veselina Peykova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Veselina,

I am too blond probably, but why would anybody buy points?

My hair used to be black (when I actually still had some).  However, you can categorize me as an honorary blonde.  Motivations behind people's lust for points are mostly incomprehensible to me.

That being said, just because I don't understand 'why' doesn't mean that I don't recognize that 'points lust' truly exists.

I generally try to ignore points babbling as much as possible.  The poor moderators unfortunately do not have that luxury.  They have to waste their valuable time on these childish points-related issues, time which, to me, could better be spent on, say, encouraging newbies, and promoting higher quality content from both questioners and also respondents.

Or, in the case of Jürgen, he could have even more time for pounding out his already mind-boggling volume of technical answers.

Best Regards,

DB49

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Veselina

It's sad but there has been evidence of users doing points gaming as their companies set KPIs of SCN contribution. So, in a way there is a indirect financial benefit in having points if their bonus is tied to it.

Then's there is ego and reputation amongst peers - especially those who are beginning

There was also a post in Coffee Corner about putting your SCN page in your resume. I assume points have something to do with that as well to point to reputation.

Regular SCNers see points for what they are - a byproduct of contribution and for many, an annoyance (e.g. Julius). Others enjoy the gamification and love their ranking in SCN so they take it as a serious game and do what they can to maximise points.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's sad but there has been evidence of users doing points gaming as their companies set KPIs of SCN contribution.

Wow, I did not know that. I guess I have worked for the wrong (or the right) companies and did not even consider searching for such info.

Thank you for clarifying.

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Colleen Hebbert wrote:

Veselina

It's sad but there has been evidence of users doing points gaming as their companies set KPIs of SCN contribution. So, in a way there is a indirect financial benefit in having points if their bonus is tied to it.

So it's this is the reason why i never got a bigger wage!

There was also a post in Coffee Corner about putting your SCN page in your resume. I assume points have something to do with that as well to point to reputation.

Guilty!

I started to add it to Linkedin and in my resume from the interview where the company asked me "What? No SCN profile? No community engagement?"

Since then, I added a link to my profile here.

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator
0 Kudos

Woowweee! Congratulations Jürgen! You are an inspiration.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wow, the much anticipated event of Jürgen hitting six figures arrived! And it didn't break SCN, phew. Congratulations on reaching The Unobtanium level!

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

was one of the first people I added here on SCN. It is by far a great member and a funny person (okay I sometimes do not know when he's being serious or being sarcastic ).

It's an honor to meet you here, hope can one day do this personally as well.

Raphael Pacheco.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is true that the nature of Jürgen's humor can sometimes be... inscrutable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

Perhaps it is my advanced age, combined with my own somewhat dry sense of humor, but I usually get a good chuckle when Jürgen drops one of his 'bombs'.

Best Regards,

DB49

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As do I, DB, as do I.

former_member183349
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Mr.Jurgen is always hero!! Thanks and congratulation sir.

Regards,

Vivek

sapmmgopal
Participant
0 Kudos

My Hero too...

Congratulations and Thank you very much Jürgen sir...!!!

GopalK

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

Congratulations!

Many things to be learnt from you - technical and non-technical. The passion, energy, helpful nature, knowledge are worldclass.

Thanks!

TW

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

He also manages, besides answering lots and lots of questions, to monitor status updates of seemingly everyone on SCN, participate in numerous conversations on a wide range of topics, have a little fun on the side, work a full-time "day" job, and, oh yeah, even still have a family life!

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOL -> "Moto of the day: better some bacon at the hips than vegetables in the upper story"..  🙂

I never thought I would find myself congratulating anyone on points, but Jürgen is an exception and the points are just a by-product.

Well done Jürgen!

Cheers,

Julius