Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Face/personality at workplace

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

After spending many years in SAP world. Got frustrated of people's cunning ness and thought to share my feelings in this space.

1. I find people are very helpful in forum and the same person will not share the knowledge with his project colleagues?

Is this not duality?

2. Few times fellow team mates help other but they show off to the whole world.

What kind of help it is.

3. Some sharp fishes try make dependency as if he goes out of project nothing can work without him.

Why this insecure feeling?

4. Leadership team always says hard work only pays and give recognition.

But I saw some people are always try to be very close with manager and got all the benefits.

Why most of the Managers like this type of guys and reward them with promotion and appreciation?

5. Why some managers are so egoistic that, they will consider all their subordinates are in experienced or useless.

6. Is this IT world is only about success, nothing about human values.

I believe life should have some meaning of helpful/ selfless nature. Else their is no difference between human and some other creature.

Thanks

Hidayath

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Colleagues will not share knowledge with you if:

• they see you as a threat, because you are really good at your job  - if they are right to be threatened, then read, experiment, solve the issue and don't depend on them;
  • they want to teach you to solve the problems by yourself - they are doing you a favor, put some effort, ask them smarter questions, maybe they will help you in the end;
  • they don't think that you can be useful to them - make yourself useful, when people owe you favors, they are more likely to respond;
  • they simply don't like you - either make yourself more likable  or find people with whom you can collaborate.

2. Altruism does not exist, accept it - even when people help you, they want to receive some form of satisfaction in return - appraisal, feeling how good and generous they are etc. If this annoys you, don't ask them for help.

3. Nobody is completely irreplaceable, but some are harder to replace than others. Your colleagues try to ensure that they would not be the first to let go. However, people say: the moment somebody becomes hard to replace, it is time to fire him.

4. Sometimes hard work pays, sometimes not. If managers don't like you, it is a bit harder to get promoted, even you are extremely good at what you do. It is up to you to decide whether you wish to play politics or not.

5. Sometimes the managers have their reasons to to think of their subordinates as inexperienced or useless - have you thought about that? Have you tried to speak with them and understand why? Have you demonstrated repeatedly that you are competent? It takes time, sometimes several years, to prove yourself so that senior people start to take you seriously.

6. Yes, and not just IT. Humans are selfish.

It appears that you are frustrated by your work environment. If this affects you badly and you can find no way to improve the situation, then probably you need look to join a different team or a company.

In all honesty, this rant does not show you in a very good light. If I were a manager, I would not seriously consider you for promotion if you demonstrate immature views and if you cannot find a way to work with all kinds of people, even if you are an extremely good consultant.

There is an old saying in my country, which roughly translates as: craftsmanship is not taught, you steal it. This is the closest to a mentoring advice that I have received so far and it helped me more than any other help from colleagues that I got all these years (and I got a lot of help actually, just not in in a spoon-feeding way, more from observation and small hints).

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In all honesty, this rant does not show you in a very good light. If I were a manager, I would not seriously consider you for promotion if you demonstrate immature views and if you cannot find a way to work with all kinds of people, even if you are an extremely good consultant.

This remind me Talia Jane's letter and how a CEO or a company would react getting her CV on their desk.

Response to Talia Jane's Letter to Yelp CEO: Takeaways for Millennials & Man...

There is an old saying in my country, which roughly translates as: craftsmanship is not taught, you steal it.

We got the almost the same saying here in Bergamo: never complain for the work you are doing, you can still steal some knowledge from the others near to you.

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hidayathulla,

Everything will come in package deal. Day and night, good and bad, black and white and so on......

Let them do their own work and you do yours.

BR//Birbal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hidayathulla,

Everything will come in package deal. Day and night, good and bad, black and white and so on......

Let them do their own work and you do yours.

BR//Birbal

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

All,

Thanks for sharing your views.

The purpose of this post is not to complain or bad mouthing about some one. I believe in discussion in both good as well as bad happening in and around workplace.

Yes, at last what we can we do, will leave such persons at their position and will move on in life.

Initially, most of the forum members took this post as my personal grudge and starting shooting me directly.  Infact that is the case in real.

Thanks

Hidayath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Being shot directly feels different, trust me.

Bless you & your forthcomings

C. Hari

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

C Hari,

May be in your case it was different, but in mine was not that much different. Trust me as well.

Thanks for your blessings and wish you the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Hari,

you had such experience it seems, why don't you share

that instance here. I mean being shot directly feels different story.

BR//Birbal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, in every company and project this kind of politics applies. They learn everything and try to create a dependency.

It's better to ignore such people and start working on developing our own skills and sharing across with people.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saikishore Nalbandu wrote:

It's better to ignore such people and start working on developing our own skills and sharing across with people.

Could not agree more!

Former Member
0 Kudos

As one of my first seniour managers put it "It's not how you do your job (that matters), but how you report about it".

If you are striving to be a better person in the community of bad people, you should look into getting into a different community.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you've ever had a managerial position you'll find out that getting the right and correct information is one of the most challenging aspects.

In most cases you either lack the knowledge necessary to find out if someones elses job is up to snuff or you lack the time.

If you're interested in someones performance you're left with how you report about your job or how others do this for you and then guess how close this is to the truth.

Cheers, Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My post has nothing to do with managerial positions, read it carefully. What it does say is that some people tend to blab about their work more than they actually do the work. And my rule of thumb is the more they blab the less they really do.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kirill Gorin wrote:

My post has nothing to do with managerial positions,

Kirill Gorin wrote:

As one of my first seniour managers put it

Err... It kind of was... I believe what Rob is suggesting that if you happened to be in a managerial position yourself you'd understand that if someone does not communicate about what they are doing it may not be possible for the manager to evaluate their performance.

Fortunately, we don't have the kind of people you're describing where I work, but when I'm managing some small projects it's extremely annoying when people don't communicate what's going on. I'm not the one to brag about my work either, but it is actually very helpful to the management to get some updates once in a while. I don't view this as "bragging", it's just a normal communication process. We do update each other regularly within the team as well.

As Rob pointed out, the managers don't always have the expertise necessary to evaluate the work others are doing. E.g. if I'm a team lead of several ABAPers then, of course, it's easy for me to see who's performing and who's not. But when I manage a project involving people of different skills, I cannot always know how difficult some tasks are and whether they're doing well or not. So it's in their own interests to give me that information.

Hope I read everything here correctly.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

You understood my point perfectly.

It's also a point of perspective, if you see someone bragging about his work to some manager and you find that annoying because you know the work wasn't anything to brag about.

From the managers point of view all they see is someone who is exciting about his work and wants to share it.

Cheers, Rob.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hidayathulla Hasan wrote:

1. I find people are very helpful in forum and the same person will not share the knowledge with his project colleagues?

Is this not duality?

No, it's efficiency! What's preventing "the project colleagues" from going to SCN? It's a public website. The same reason I usually don't answer questions by email and ask to post on SCN instead. If you post on SCN then much more people will benefit from the knowledge.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hidayath,

It seems like you are projecting your own morality and behaviour patterns on others and be surprised and annoyed when you come to the conclusion that it doesn't match.

Human beings are complex creatures with a wide variety of behaviour patterns, you should do a personality test like  Meyers-Briggs. Then you find out that the things that motivate you can be boring for others.

Now to the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything:

Forty... nah

It is find something to do that also gives some energy back, something that others are willing to reward you with and use the rewards to provide you with a satisfying level of luxury.

Cheers, Rob.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, this is gamification, in the forum they can make points and get globally recognized. Try to compete with chocolate.  They help strangers who are not directly jeopardize the own job if they are getting more knowledge.

This is actually a great help from my point of view, as they have the big picture and can explain you the interactions. It is something that I really miss here and it is actually motivating me to go fishing in the ABAP forum, since some seek for ABAP solutions because they do not understand the capabilities of the standard.

3. If you have a strong knowledge then you can show that they are wrong. Its the attitude of some people to make themselves more important than they really are by using a technical jargon to protect their area of expertise. Maybe they have never seen a cut down of 25% employees and the company is still alive.

a) yes hard work pays and gives recognition

b) just the human nature to be close to someone you like or to someone who gives you to eat.

c) would you prefer to have some fans yourself or do you prefer people who criticize you from a distance. To whom would you give a promotion? I am not saying you can't get one if you don't lick his shoes. But it is much harder and you need to show that your skills are strong and your criticism is fair and constructive.  Some may not have the chance to chose.

5. .

Is this egoistic or just herd instinct? Don't we all classify anything with like/do not like, experienced/not experienced, cooperative or not, blonde.... Nobody is born as manager, they have to learn and develop their management skills too. Some are better than others.  It is a different kind of job and they have their superiors too who evaluate their work once a year. And this assessment face to face is usually not just black or white, there are metrics to evaluate employees, and this is necessary to get a harmonized evaluation otherwise Manager A would do totally different than Manager B.

6. Yes - only the strong survive

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Hidayath

The examples you are describing sounds like the definition of a bad workplace with poor culture where every person is only looking after themselves.

Your wording has already recognised this: not all people are like that. Unfortunately, negativity is a lot more obvious than positive/neutral people who go about their day and do their best.

Regards

Colleen

paula_ditallo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hidayath,

The good news is you aren't alone in your observation. The bad news is this isn't just an SAP ecosystem issue. This is the world over, across platforms, professions and generations.

In a nutshell, managers seek assurances that their projects will be completed on time and within budget. Those that help them meet these commitments are rewarded. Sometimes meeting these goals takes savvy technical politicians as well as hands-down developers, system admins and functional gurus. When goals are not met and/or budgets are exceeded, political savvy becomes a greater asset.

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

DiTallo

Thanks for reading and your comments.

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

* Paula DiTallo,