Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrogant Manager or A Leader

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

How do you want to see yourself in corporate world.

1. Arrogant Manager- Who want to survive and save his position by taking/stealing others credit. And always in a illusion that whatever the position he has now because of his knowledge and etc....or

2. A Leader- Who will not only demonstrate his expertise but also provided a chance to his subordinates to grow.

Thanks

Hidayath

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hidayathulla,

I read a quote by Jack Welch “Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.”

good one right?

TW

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks a lot for this positive quote! I totally agree and I can say that I'm fortunate to be experiencing this with my managers since I joined SAP 6 years ago.

I propose that we end this discussion at this positive note as I don't believe we can gain much more from the continuation of this debate.

Thank you all for your enriching comments/feedback.

Regards,

Moshe

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

0 Kudos

Lets keep this as a discussion and not a debate.

and yes, some people might judge your attitude by the question you asked. (may be a frustrated employee ?). Different cultures, different people.

Anyways, we get to deal with different people in different jobs. We just need to keep calm and focus on giving our best and keeping it cool.

Regards,

Sagar

former_member183349
Active Participant
0 Kudos

good comment on second point which you had mentioned here.

"We just need to keep calm and focus on giving our best and keeping it cool"

I am adding to that rest will follows you.

Regards,

Vivek

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you guys are not open to discuss any new idea. I'm OK wit it.

I'm dropping off here and happy to know each one of comments of yours.

Have a nice weekend.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Hidayathulla

The main issue at play here is that you have written a loaded question. No one is going to choose option A - no matter how much they believe in self preservation.

1. Arrogant Manager- Who want to survive and save his position by taking/stealing others credit. And always in a illusion that whatever the position he has now because of his knowledge and etc....or

2. A Leader- Who will not only demonstrate his expertise but also provided a chance to his subordinates to grow.

I could have easily positioned a question in a loaded manner by switching the two:

1. A Manager - Who cares about his team and sets clear guidelines as well as providing equal opportunity to his team. He takes the time each week to present an award to the member who has gone above and beyond their remit and ensure senior managers hear of his team's hard work as consideration for future promotion opportunities, etc.... or

2. A up-in-the-air Leader who has no sense of realities or practicalities and keeps chasing the next shiny toy- Who turns up to the corporate goals setting event after listening to the latest TED talk inspiring  telling us that we need to focus on this new idea even though we tried it last year and had to back-it out because he made us work on the current new idea. If only he could stick to one ##### decision we might actually get something done. Oh and then he walks away with a extra bonus for meeting a KPI but we didn't quality coz we never delivered on the first project and business wondering why we spent out budget.

In your scenario, most would choose the Leader. In my scenario, most would choose the Manager. How are we then going to have any serious debate or conversation (which is a challenge at the best of times in this space) when you force us down a specific path?

Your questions comes across as a passive aggressive outlet to a personal experience or work issue. That may not be your intention but that's the perception. Unfortunately, with such perception people are not going to encourage it - it's not helpful to the person having issues as they'll feed of more negativity, walk away with a view they have been validated and potentially create conflict with your employer.

If your questions had been between a Manager and a Leader then perhaps you might have created an interesting conversations. As much as many of us want consider ourselves to be (or strive to be) a leader sometimes we're more effective being a manager and getting things done. I know I feel more comfortable being the 2IC in some situations.

So the members misunderstood your intentions. But can you blame them?

I'll accept you've exited the space but if you do decide to return perhaps you can take the lesson on board?

Regards

Colleen

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can I add extra 'likes' to this response? This is exactly what I was thinking as I read the original post and some of the responses to responses. How is this supposed to engender discussion, when the question is essentially a push poll in which it is clear what the OP considers to be the "right" answer?

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One more thing: I don't know how this is regulated in your country, but in mine in every contract there is a clause to protect the good name of the employer.

This means that the company could actually sue you for defamation and even if you somehow manage to win, your name will be associated with a lawsuit, which could make you practically unhirable in some companies.

Don't commit professional suicide because of frustration.

former_member183349
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well Said!! Veselina Peykova Madam!!.

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Veselina Peykova,

Let me tell you. In my country, we just not only respect our employer or workplace but treat the workplace as Holy place and employer as ann daata(god).

But people like you, are stereotype thinking and are not open to discuss any good or bad things happening around workplace.

I repeat, the posts are not intended to me or my company. So pls keep this post it as a point of discussion only.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Heh?

Workplace is holy and employer is a god?? Stereotype thinking!! 🙂

I am sure you are still going to learn some very hard lessons in your life, don't we all.

Cheers,

Julius

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Discussion could happen when there is at least some option of getting different opinions.

Who would openly admit that he prefers to be a narrow-minded person, who steals credit from others?

Not that this does not happen in reality, but still the chances for a discussion, when the question is formulated in such way, are very slim.

My intention was not a personal attack, really.

But ask yourself, if a complete stranger like me could arrive to such conclusions reading your two discussions in the coffee corner, other people, with whom you might work in the future and also don't know you yet, could also interpret your posts in a similar manner. 

I find it amusing... this is the first time anybody has described my thinking as stereotypical, usually I face the exact opposite problem with many people I meet.

Probably there are some vast cultural differences....

Where I live, most people treat the workplace as the place where you spend 8 or more hours per day, so that you can spend the rest of the day doing things that you really like and with people you genuinely care about.

If you are extremely lucky to get paid for doing things you are passionate about and you work with people, who you can even call friends, then maybe you might see the workplace as holy - no idea, different upbringing and lifestyle again, I would not use this word in the same context.

As to the employer treated as a 'god' - people would hire me to do a good (or an excellent) job and part of this job is to provide honest feedback to my employer and to my project manager. And honest feedback implies communication between equals.

So you see - we are different.

I have absolutely no issues with how other people perceive (insert any object), as long as they don't expect that I should act according to their morality, beliefs etc.

Because of that my life is quite simple and less frustrating than at the time when I was a teenager.

If you are willing to dissect the subject about workplace interactions from a psychological perspective in a neutral manner, I would be glad to participate, especially if you are familiar with transactional analysis.

As for a philosophical discussion - if the topic can be somehow debatable and pose a mental challenge I could give it a try.

former_member183349
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hidayathualla,

Don't complain. Kindly do your work correctly in the present company in order to meet the deliverables at the right time.  No one stop's

your growing career. Kindly do change your attitude.

How do you approach is the best way to shows your attitude.

Attitude makes the difference!!

All the best!!

Regards,

Vivek

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Vivek S,

Thanks for your suggestion. With just two post.you can't judge my attitude.so pls be patient while judging others attitude or suggestions.

In this space I don't want to mention my current position. Whether I'm a individual contributor or handling a team. You can Check my other social profiles.

former_member183349
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hidayathuall,

You had been misunderstood. I am not here to judge your attitude. You are doing good.

Based on your message in the scn forum I am replied to you and said don't complain!!. Just think good

way!! thats it!!. nothing else. good luck everything you do.

Regards,

Vivek

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, plagiarism happens sometimes.

There are different ways to deal with that, search the web and pick the approach which suits best your current situation and personality.

It is a bad idea to vent such frustration in an internet forum, which your colleagues or the person you are upset about are likely to visit. Your SCN profile shows a picture of you, your current employer, your name seems legit.

Even if you leave your job and apply for a position in another company, your future employer would search the web and would come across your posts.

Don't you think that he might be concerned seeing how you handle conflicts in the workplace?

Not to mention that bad-mouthing a previous employer, even if it is based on real facts, is a very bad move when you apply for a new job.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hidayathulla,

Honestly, I don't want to be seen by the corporate world. Let me stay small and do my analysis, sitting (hidden) below my desk, in a corner of the large hall.

Dread those "Do you have any questions, comments, you would like to share with the group"

TW

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

TW Typewriter,

Since my schools days. I have been told that, Either it may be a school or workplace is like second home and almost we spent more time than our home.

In our home, if any problem comes. We will try to sort it out neither we will disown the person who committed some mistake. That's how will make a strong bond.

This is my observation from my friends who are working in other companies in India and abroad.

I'm clarifying this because, already members in forum considering this post as my own experience or story.

Started giving vague suggestions like focus on deliverables and start looking other job....etc...

I know people here are more experienced and their experience is more than of my age.

They might have seen both side of life.

I thought people will share their experiences and good ideas.

Instead of that, members started shooting to me directly.

Thanks

Hidayath

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hidayathulla,

I too was unsure about how members inferred that you are bad mouthing your employer or your boss. I took this thread as what would be your choice.

I would say leave this thread at that...and get on with what ever you want to.

Best,

TW

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

TW Typewriter,

Your comment is as simple as that. Thanks.

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

My answer is A Leader

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you should find a new job soon before you get fired by the manager you are complaining about now in the second thread.

You may have better luck in another company, but I have rarely seen people who changed their attitude just with the change of employer or manager

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jürgen L,

I'm nor frustrated neither underrated.

* Even not trying to complain about my manager or my present or previous company.

* Now it is clear that...forum people are regid to discuss about ideas or change.

* I surprised to see such comments from you. A senior person from forum.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It looks like you see already in each person an enemy...Happy recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Hidayath,

I am not sure how I should see my mother-in-law:

1) A person whom I failed to understand sufficiently before tying the knot with her daughter and the way the stars are aligned it would be the right thing to adjust the distance between us to reduce the friction... but I cannot remove it completely so will also have to show tolerance and try to make the best of it.

2) A wench who changed for the worse once I married her daughter and probably planned the whole demise from the start. I was tricked and am an innocent victim. My wife is probably on her mom's side as well - at least she is not on mine. Everything is always at my expense and if she got her way then I would still be to blame for everything that ever went wrong.

Thanks,

Julius

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jürgen L,

Not at least now. No one is a enemy. Everyone is a friend here with different thought process.

But opinion or views may differ.

It doesn't mean, someone is seeing you as enemy.

If everyone is on same rail. What is the beauty in that?

I know people will not accept any idea easily at initial.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Heheh Julius,

human interaction could be even more challenging....

My parents married two times to each other, which means that my father got the same mother-in-law twice. He told me that they got on pretty well until the second divorce... when he moved out to live in the apartment next door to ours.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm, how familiar! My father's 1st and 3rd wife was the same woman; my mother was his 2nd wife, in between.