cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTP using navigational attributes & startroutine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear community,

I'm on BW 7.31 and I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience with DTPs filtering navigational attributes from a source Info Cube and using a Startroutine?

I found only old topics like: https://scn.sap.com/thread/2120352

It leads to Note: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1145673 saying that from 7.30 onwards it should work again.

Problem:

I had a DTP already using 2 navi attributes as filter, which worked fine before.

Now, I changed the DTP by

- including one aditional regular cube field as filter

- including a start routine.

Previously, the DTP selected ~ 12 Mio. records (15 minutes)

Now, it selects ~ 60 Mio records (which are in the cube, in total, it takes 2 hours now).

By adding one more restriction, it cannot be possible to get more records out of the source as before! But it happens...

Can anyone confirm if the issue is still the startroutine, as described in the note from Jan. 2013?

If you use a start routine, this means that the system extracts all the navigation attributes of the InfoProvider

I will try deleting the Startroutine again, and put the coding to the end routine... and let you know...

However, I would like to know, if SAP did not correct the bug as promised earlier?

Any feedback appreciated.

BR, Martin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear community,

in the meanwhile I was able to test my scenario also without startoutine, in 7.31 and 7.40

The result is very disappointing!

What has been known since 2013 is still not resolved: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1145673

That means, even an empty startroutine still causes the problem that DTP filter restrictions with navigational attributes don't work properly!

I'm really wondering why even in the third version (don't believe it worked in 7.30), SAP has not been able to correct this error!!! It is not even solved in BW on HANA...

I will open a new OSS note now.

BR, Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all.

I received an update regarding my OSS note and it seems that the "expected" logic works like assumed, if you follow SAP's expectation :

I've checked the DTP and technically it works correctly.
In 7.3x/7.40/7.50 there is the possibility to have a choosen field
list for the start/end routine. When i logged on, the start routine
had more than 40 fields in the field list, but only 23 fields of the
source cube had assigned rules to them.
As the data is read in an aggregated form (just like in a query), the
number of records depends on the fields in the drilldown. As the
number of the fields in the field list of the start routine were
almost double of the number of fields which had rules assigned to
them, the system could not aggregate that much and therefore the
number of extracted records was bigger.

After i've adjusted the field list of the transformation, the DTP now extracts
the same amount of data you mention in your attachment even if there
is a start routine. The field list of the startroutine works exactly like a query.
For example if you have only 0CALYEAR in the drilldown, only one record is
displayed for each year.
If however you additionally add 0CALMONTH, there will be 12 rows for
each year. The same applies for the field list of the startroutine.

That means, "just creating" a startroutine is not sufficient. You need to adjust the list of used characteristics for the startroutine. If only the fields of the target (Infosource or Infoprovider) is chosen, then the DTP selection works as expected.

BR, Martin

Answers (0)