Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to structure complex application

vladimir_erakovic
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello colleagues,

Can you help me with structuring SAPUI5 application that I aim to develop. I don't use SAP Fiori launchpad and SAP login data; username/password will be user email address and any password, not SAP system login data. It's all custom, programs in SAP ERP, Gateway services and app itself. On the picture below is the structure of application:

Application entry point is Login page. If the user is not already registered he goes to Registration page and after successful registration goes back to Login page. When user is successfully logged in he goes to a Tiles page where every tile is like a menu button to other pages of application.

Those other pages can be single or split view pages. Every page communicate with Gateway with separate odata service.

My problem is that I don't know how to connect all these pages from one root container. What goes in index.html and how to manage routing. Can application have more than one html pages? For example, that Registration or Login page, or both, are a separate html page..

I did saw this example:

but in my case it is a far more complex situation. Any suggestion is welcome and will be rewarded.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

WouterLemaire
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could use Navigate between single full view and split view as a start. Add single views the same way as the first single view and master detail screens the same way as in the example.

That blog is in the meanwhile not up to date with the latest SDK. You could use the WebIDE and use the WYSIWYG to add views and routes in your app.

Here you can find some how the routing works: SAPUI5 Explored

Kind regards,

Wouter

vladimir_erakovic
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Wouter, I tried to figure it out just from youtube clip but I still don't get it. Will try to read again about navigation and routing and maybe I get lucky. And I like to use Eclipse, WebIDE is nice but to much generated code and I like to know what every line of code do or represent and to write code by myself.

By the way, is it possible to send notification from ERP/Gateway to app opened in browser on desktop? It should be, but if you know how exactly could you give me some hints?

WouterLemaire
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Found the original project and added it to the blog. Maybe this will help you. Indeed it's better to understand to know what you're doing

I think you should use the messaging channel in your abap system for that:

Other option are native mobile apps with push notifications but then you would need HCP Mobile Services or SMP...

Kind regards,

Wouter

vladimir_erakovic
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Wouter,

I managed to make exactly the kind of structure from my diagram above with the code you provide on your blog: .

What do you think, is it worth to try to migrate it to a new version with manifest.json instead of configuration in Component.js?

WouterLemaire
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would try to use the latest version if possible (including the manifest.json) but you'll have to consider a few things:

• What's the UI5 version of your SAP Gateway system?
  • The version of your SAP Gateway system? Does it already support OData V2 ?
  • Also check the maintenance support from SAP: https://sapui5.hana.ondemand.com/versionoverview.html
    • If you want to use v1.28 I would use my example otherwise I would use the manifest.json

If your developments are not connected to a gateway system, I would use the latest version with manifest.json.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi .

You can use UX3 Shell and place your pages as navigation items :

Shell Example - SAPUI5 Demo Kit

vladimir_erakovic
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arie,

I thought about that option but customer request is that Main page must have tiles for navigation to other pages..