cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TruncateClippedFieldStrings registry setting not fixing overlap problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010. I currently have 13.0.15.1850 installed on both my development machine and the production server. The server is Windows 2012 R2 Standard.

I am seeing the issue that others have reported, in that using the CrystalReportViewer component results in text columns overlapping in the DHTML viewer. However, when the report is exported to PDF or XLS, the data is exported properly.

I have spent some time researching the and have pursued suggested solutions to no avail. The suggested solution is to add the TruncateClippedFieldStrings entry to the registry.

This KB mentions the problem I am experiencing, but does not mention VS.

https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/public/en/0001218653

This KB mentions the TruncateClippedFieldStrings setting and where to set it.

https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/public/en/0002165260

I have set the value at multiple locations in the server registry :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData\TruncateClippedFieldStrings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData\TruncateClippedFieldStrings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData\TruncateClippedFieldStrings

I even tried these locations because I was trying anything :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData\TruncateClippedFieldStrings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData\TruncateClippedFieldStrings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\SavedData\TruncateClippedFieldStrings

I initially had SP16 installed and downgraded to SP15 because this thread mentioned that :

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3870078

These other threads also seem to have the problem unresolved for some users :

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3503658

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3431931

I am specifically looking for a solution to this problem using CR for VS2010. What is the specific registry entry? Does TruncateClippedFieldStrings work with the CR runtime for VS2010?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dennis Annulis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

I believe this was an issue more noticable in SP 16 as well.

Can you attach a report that shows the issue so I can test in the latest SP 17 build to see if it's still there?

Thanks

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

How can I provide the RPT file? The forum will not allow me to post it.

Thanks,
Dennis

0 Kudos

Click on the Advanced Editor and then rename your rpt extension to .txt or add a .txt to the report file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Attached are 3 files :

Capture.png.txt is a screenshot showing the truncation in the viewer.

CrystalReportViewer1.pdf.txt is the PDF export correctly truncating the columns.

CrystalReport2.rpt.txt is the report.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Kudos

Thank you Dennis,

Got them.. Interesting, so you WANT the fields to be truncated....

Not the same issue as I thought it was....

I'll ask DEV to look into it also.

By default, no registry keys, it is not truncating the text as you have seen..., in both places.

Thanks

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Yes, I want the fields clipped do that they don't overflow into the next column. It doesn't make for a pretty look in the DHTML viewer. The columns are properly truncated in the PDF and XLS exports.

Interestingly enough, I have realized that the TruncateClippedFieldStrings is actually being implemented by the registry. But on my development machine and server they are implemented in different ways. Which is what led me to believe the setting was NOT working.

Attached are 3 files

1) "Server No Truncate.png" - which is a screen clip of the report in the viewer on the server with TruncateClippedFieldStrings set to No. This is also the same result I get on my development machine with TruncateClippedFieldStrings set to No.

2) "Server Truncate.png" - which is a screen clip of the report in the viewer on the server with TruncateClippedFieldStrings set to Yes. You can see on the first 2 lines that MODEL ROOM LIGHTIN bleeds over. On the 3rd line MODEL ROOM LAMPS bleeds over.

3) "DevMachine Truncate.png" - which is a screen clip of the report in the viewer on the development machine with TruncateClippedFieldStrings set to Yes. This is how I want the report to display ....all fields are properly truncated without bleeding over.

So now the question is, why does the server machine leave 1 to 2 extra characters before truncating (and therefore bleed over) as opposed to the development machine?

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

What OS is your DEV and Server PC's?

Using IIS or IIS Express on your DEV PC?

What browser are you using? Have you tried others?

The problem is in CRD it uses GDI to format the page where in a WEB app it has to convert to HTML and the "best guess".

I sent this info off to DEV, we'll have to see what they say.

Differences are likely due to the OS, GDI, GDIPlus and the Browser version as well as the screen resolution/DPI settings...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Dev OS is Windows 7 Ultimate using IIS 7.5.

Server is Windows Server 2012 R2 using IIS 8.5.

I have used all the latest browsers on multiple machines against the server and see the extra characters on each combination. Firefox 45, IE 11, Chrome 49.

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

R&D looked into the issue and determined it's not the same issue as the other one so I created a new case for this one. She said it should be fixed in SP 17:

Incident 259298 / 2016 / Right text objects not cut off in web Viewer

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don. I will test when SP 17 comes out.

Dennis

0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

R&D had a very close look into this and determined due to the variations in browsers and their formatting engines there is no simple way to make this work.

They could but it could potentially cause a lot of regression issues so they determined it is not safe to do so.

So there will not be a fix this for you. Suggested work arounds is to limit the text in the report using margins:

The other option is in code use the PDF viewer to display the report using this line:

CrystalReport.ExportToHttpResponse(CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat, System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Response, true, "d:\\your.pdf");

Or set the viewers output to PDF:

And change the Viewer button to print the report....

What you see Adobe Viewer is what you see in CR Designer.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don.

I will present the client with the different options and let them choose.

Dennis

0 Kudos

SP 17 is now available....

Answers (0)