cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create a Custom/Micro Chart Tile in on-premise Fiori Launchpad?

MattHarding
Active Contributor

Hi All,

I've recently been working with SAP Smart Business which allows you to create tiles with micro charts embedded into the tiles. Very sexy and actually very useful for end users!

Now I haven't had the time to reverse engineer how the whole remote tiles aspect works from HANA into the Fiori Launchpad with this solution (or understand how this will work from a dev, test and production perspective since it's unclear whether you can transport SAP Smart Business generated Tiles - but that's future question) but when I saw post on the BlueFin website he appeared to show these tiles without a HANA back-end and hence, also without SAP Smart Business.

Researching this, there's been previous posts about doing this with a Custom Tile available on the HANA (?) version of the Fiori Launchpad; but for your standard Gateway/Fiori server running Fiori Launchpad (without HANA); is there any way to do this?

Obviously the answer may eventuate in a few weeks time when DJ presents this but would appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction of how to do this today (if it is possible)?

Cheers,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Well figured out a way of doing this and will write more about this shortly but to provide a summary:

Firstly, this HANA based custom tile generation was useful to get there - Kudos to Wenjen for writing this:

Also, this help is valuable for understanding how to do it also:

User Interface Add-On for SAP NetWeaver - SAP Library

So the steps are:

1. Create a Project in WebIDE (or notepad). The minimum you'll need is a Tile XML definition file (per the help above) and that definition should point at a UI5 view (refer to the HANA custom tile above for an example of this). Deploy this to your Gateway server.  Refer to doco above if you want to access parameters/config at runtime or produce a static preview for your tile.

2. Now if you recall the whole lanes page "stuff" from HCM Renewal - well that is part of the evolution of UI5 and some of this plays out now.  Run transaction /ui2/chip - This will allow you to configure a Tile (chip) that points at your own "Chip". e.g. You'll need the path to your Tile XML definition.

3. Now another UI I've never seen before, run the Suite Page Builder which is found here:

/sap/bc/ui5_ui5/sap/ARSRVC_SPB_ADMN/main.html

4. From this screen, you can create a Catalog, and from the All Chips page, add your Chip/Tile to your new Catalog. Remember the id of your catalog as you'll need that next.

5. Now let's go create a remote catalog in the Fiori Admin Tool. 

Which if you've got a working preview, you'll see you're almost done:

Pretty straightforward from here so won't go on...I'm not sure if you can put in permissions on the catalog like you normally can, so that may be a feature lacking with this approach, but at least I have a Smart Business like tile without Smart Business now...

Cheers,

Matt

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Please create a blog on this - to help others do this more easily. 

Thanks

Jocelyn

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Jocelyn - I did say I would above - Don't you trust me to do it???   That said, just need to find the time (and not sure this is really a long term (or recommended) approach..

Lots of stuff to write about right now, and probably more important is the post to say - plan for Fiori in your Support packs on the back-end, and get HCC and WebIDE set-up now; as this will save you heaps when you roll out your first Fiori app...Oh - And learn OO (still have to say that as still meeting heaps of ABAP'ers who don't understand good OO, or OO at all - and one was in Custom Development....

Cheers,

Matt

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Matt

OK ok .... if you'd like me to find someone to validate your micro chart approach just drop me a line.  You know where to find me.

As for the ABAP OO people I have someone who might be interested in helping.

And yes couldn't agree more re HCP Web IDE & HCC - big time savers!

Jocelyn

Answers (0)